Thursday, July 23, 2009

Spotlight On: Bunny Reviews

I really enjoy writing this blog, it's my way of answering my own questions, exploring the ideas I want to explore and talking about the topics I want to talk about. Today, we're continuing with our Spotlight On series as we talk to Amanda from Bunny Reviews. Amanda had a really tough week and I want to thank her for finding the time to answer these questions. We can't always control what life throws at us, so thank you so much Amanda for getting back to me even when life was raining down.



Again, Amanda, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. I think we focus so much on authors that sometimes we forget that reviewers are people too. You spend a lot of time, you read a lot of books and you're the front lines of the audience.


How important is the blurb of a book to your impression of a book? What about the cover?


The blurb of the book is important to me. I feel like it is the best representation of the book without giving away too much of the storyline. I often quote the blurb in my reviews so the reader gets an accurate depiction of what the novel is truly about.

The cover is of no importance to me. While it can grab you in a realistic way, I do not feel like a cover defines what a novel is truly about.


Obviously it's easy to review a book you like, but how do you handle books that don't appeal?


I really do not put bad reviews on my blog, I try to stick more with book recommendations. I have been asked to review books that were not really my area and I politely told them that it wasn't something that would be of interest to me or my other reviewers. I also had a reviewer read something that they didn't like. I told the author about it and told them I would not be posting the review and they were appreciative.


Has an author ever lashed out at you for a review?

I have not had that happen yet, no.


When you read, do you find yourself mentally writing a review or does that process begin after you've finished the story?

While I am reading, I take notes and scribble down things that I would like to put in my review. When I am finished reading I then carefully review my writing and try to put it into a review that is pleasant and understandable in a reader perspective.


Do you prejudge a book, i.e. it's by an author you liked or didn't like previously?


I try not to, but that is difficult. I have posted a review from one of my favorite authors and I warned my readers that I might be a little biased because of this. I feel that if I tell my readers this beforehand, they get a better understanding for my feelings about the review/author/novel.


Have you found that your reviews influence readers?

I have gotten emails and comments from some very satisfied readers and they truly are what keep me doing what I love to do.


As a reviewer, if you could get authors to do one thing for you, what would it be?


I have debated many people on this, and I know it is an understood agreement between the authors and reviewers out there, but I do not accept free copies from the authors. I feel like if I am going to write a truly unbiased review on something I would like to see it from a consumer standpoint. I could go on and on with this subject, but I will leave it at that.



You can find out more about Amanda and her reviews here. Be sure to stop by and see what the Bunny has for you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ;)
    Thank you Amanda for coming to this blog.
    This was a terrific interview.
    I keep learning new things about reviewing books and I learn that some things are a constant.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love from Northern Ontario
    twitter.com/RKCharron
    xOXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beginning to enjoy your daily dose very much, Heather. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this interview, Amanda.

    Estefanie

    ReplyDelete