Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spotlight On: Erotic Book Junkies

What a fantastic week so far, we talked to Sabrina at Cheeky Reads, Heather at Errant Dreams and today, we shine the spotlight on Christine who hosts Erotic Book Junkies and Romantic Crush Junkies. She's also the Queen of Second Chances at the Royal Reviewers. I was fortunate to meet Christine through Facebook, we got started talking because my dog was hurt and she's a fascinating woman and reviewer!




How important is the blurb of the book to your impression of a book?


With out the blurb all you have is a pretty face on an H-O-T cover that doesn’t tell me anymore than that. The blurb is the essential part to any print or eBook. It’s like the key for the ignition to get your motor started. Once you motor is running you can now go anywhere.

What about the cover?

Cover for me isn’t the beginning and end all of whether I’ll read and review a book. Mind you the visual does have it perks. The cover starts your creative juices working at wondering what is under the cover. On the whole, I love a nice book cover but for me it’s the blurb and the first couple of pages that have to grab me. If not for that I’ll take a pass.

Has an author ever lashed out at you for a review?

No and I’m working pretty hard to never have an author disappointed at my work. Listen, my way of thinking is an author was kind enough to offer me their work to review. So why am I going to turn around and rip them apart. I don’t see the need for writing that the story sucked or the premise was way off base or I couldn’t finish the book. Authors work to long and to damn hard for some one to not understand their work. You will NEVER find anything like that on my sites. I’m honored bound to write a truthful and genuine opinion about the books that I read. I do a disservice not only to my author by being cruel but my creditability as a writer and a reviewer.

When you read, do you find yourself mentally writing a review or does that process begin after you’ve finished the story?

I’m a bit of both. I try to do a complete read through as just a reader. But sometimes I jot down notes as I find something interesting. It helps me draw back that moment. Also, I tend to write emotionally—how I was feeling at the time. What the characters made me feel? I do at least two complete read through before sitting down to write the review.

Do you prejudge a book, i.e it by an author you liked or didn’t like previously?

I love this question. I’m a second chance kind of girl in general. So no I don’t prejudice an author if I didn’t happen to like one book. For instance I am a huge Brenda Joyce fan. I love her The Masters of Time series. I’ve read all four books—fifth Dark Lover will be released on July 28th and I can’t flipping wait.. I loved two out of the four but I read the others because I loved the series and I wanted to see what was happening. Now let’s talk about new writers. I’m one of those readers that loves coming upon an unknown and telling people about them. It makes me feel like Columbus when he discovered America.

Have you found that your reviews influence readers?

As a reviewer you hope that you’ve influenced some one to buy the book. So far, I’ve gotten great feed back that because of my reviews readers have purchased that book that they otherwise wouldn’t have picked up. Knowing that some one appreciated your work does a writers heart good.

As a reviewer, if you could get authors to do one thing for you, what would it be?

One thing I would love for authors to do for me is contact me for a review and/or , interview. Also, I love it when an author gives away a copy of free read for a contest. I’m pretty easy going.

Thanks for the great questions and I hope these helped.

5 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thank you for having Christine on your Blog.
    The interview brings great answers out of Christine.
    Love from Northern Ontario
    twitter.com/RKCharron
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. RK -- you're a doll to come by every day! I appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine is a pleasure to work with, and I'm thrilled with all the reviews she's done for me--as well as the attention she's drawn to my work. Thanks Christine for letting us get to know you better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather for another great blog read! Great interview, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heather for having me. I loved it. My very first interview! Wow now I feel like I hit the big time.

    Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm truly humbled. All I can say is that I love what I do and I hope it shines through in my work.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete