Friday, July 17, 2009

Ten Guilty Pleasures

Guilty pleasures are hard to justify in a tight economy. As a parent, they are sometimes hard to justify period. A comment I heard come out of the RWA is that one of the reasons the Young Adult market is doing so well is that parents buy books for their kids even in a recession. That's true. I buy all types of things for my daughter that I wouldn't spend on myself. There are plenty of books out in hardback right now that I am resisting buying despite loving the authors, yet I'll spend that same cost on a few books for my kiddo.

My Ten Guilty Pleasures

So when we talk about guilty pleasures, we're talking about the things we enjoy, but maybe we feel guilty about. So in no particular order, here are my top ten guilty pleasures this summer. Be sure to hop down to the comments section and share yours:

10. So You Think You Can Dance (Summer Dance Show)

No matter what's going on, I drop everything for 2 hours on a Wednesday evening in the summer so my daughter and I can watch this together. They are going to start airing it this fall which will make this guilty pleasure harder for me, but we'll see. I love the summer cachet of it. And this routine from the top 10 night: Bollywood Bombshells is a big reason why.



9. True Blood

This show is so deliciously bad. It's got a lot of gratuitous sex in it and some sexy vampires (Hello Eric), but it has vampire Bill as the romantic lead, unfotunately he was never my favorite in the books (I was always torn between Sam and Eric), but between Anna Paquin, Rutina Wesley, Sam Trammell and the rest of this fantastic cast, I can't get enough.

8. Starbucks

I am a Starbuck's junkie. I live on Venti Half-Cafe, Non-Fat with whip peppermint mochas. I still love regular coffee too, but these mochas are a definite guilty pleasure that I enjoy.

7. Book Contests

I keep winning books from contests online and off. I feel guilty because I'm a writer and I don't always have time to read right away, but on the other hand, I get access to some great books this way!

6. Soap Operas

I've been a soap opera junkie since 78 or thereabouts. Started watching them with my grandmother. I've watched pretty much all of them at one time or another, but I love that they are always on, always fresh and yes, admittedly, I can stop watching for a little while, but it will be there when I come back.

5. Netflix

It's totally worth the investment to get my hands on dozens of dvds every month for myself and the kiddo. I've discovered numerous shows such as Supernatural, Dark Angel, Roswell and more just through renting the seasons via Netflix.

4. YouTube Music Videos

I love going to YouTube to watch the video tributes to couples on shows and more. Jason and Elizabeth are hands down my favorite couple on General Hospital and even when they aren't paired up on the show, I can go watch these wonderful videos of them.



3. Massage Envy

Massage Envy is this wonderful little parlor massage chain. You can spend $50 a month on a membership that guarantees you a 1 hour massage every month. It seemed really pricy for a long time, but it's so worth it. It's great for reducing my stress and when I need to put the membership on hold, it takes 5 minutes and they will suspend it for a couple of months until I can start paying again.

2. Twitter (Follow me @HVLong)

Lately Twitter is definitely becoming a guilty pleasure because it's letting me connect with so many wonderful writers and people.


1. Writing

Writing is the ultimate guilty pleasure. I love it when I get to spend hours devoted to a work in progress. Writing transports me to another place and more than television shows, music and even reading sometimes -- it takes me away from everything.

What are your ten guilty pleasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment