Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Seeing Eye to Strange Brew

I love anthologies. I love anthologies, I love Jim Butcher, I love Patricia Briggs and so I must confess, I love Strange Brew. The first story, Seeing Eye is written by Patricia Briggs. It's set in the same world as her Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series. We meet the good witch "Moira" and the werewolf Tom. From the moment we meet Moira, I was so rooting for her.

I love short stories, I love the delightful tales that are spun in a quickly woven fashion. You are thrust into the thick of the story with little in the way of introduction. It is the hot meat of the meal with no appetizer to stymie the hunger for the tale. The problem with short stories is that you get to the last line and you want to turn the page and see more, not a little bit more, but a novel's worth of more. As with the first Charles and Anna story, I hope that Ms. Briggs continues to the tale begun in "Seeing Eye" between Moira and Tom. I would love to see more.

Last Call by Jim Butcher

The second short story in the book is by Jim Butcher. Like I said, heady stuff. His continuing tales of Harry Dresden never fail to delight. In "Last Call" we're treated to a rambunctious tale of Harry and Murphy helping out after all hell break's loose at McNally's. There's definitely a few wink wink, nudge nudges in the story.

Bacon by Charlaine Harris

Harris' sense of humor is so very wry that I was not surprised to be laughing out loud when I got to the end of the story. But I think one of my favorite moments is when the witch in the tale mentions only one of their ilk, a sorcerer had gone public in Chicago and he was often getting into the thick of it. What a cute wink at the Harry Dresden books (intentional or not).

Other great shorts from Karen Chance, Rachel Caine and P.N. Elrod add to the wonderful and yet robust Strange Brew. If you haven't picked up this collection of short stories, I highly recommend it.

Short stories are such a wonderful way to introduce readers to authors for the first time. Do you enjoy short stories?

4 comments:

  1. So on a scale from one to ten what do you rate it? I got my copy of Strange Brew but I have yet to read it. :( Anyway, I always enjoy reading your blogs. I look forward to reading your blog on Lisa.

    Thanks, Heather

    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that it was a solid 8 overall, with a 10 for the stories by Caine, Briggs, Butcher and Harris. But then I am biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short stories and always ready for a book that carries them. I am on therapy right now and guess what I have to do...READ. I need to relax as much as I can until the doctors can find why I am having mini strokes so books are my way to relax. I have no complaints over my therapy!!! Susan L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I'm sorry to hear about the health problems, but I love the idea of reading as therapy! I know when I need to relax and just unwind, a book is the way to go. Strange Brew is definitely worth the cover price!

    ReplyDelete