Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Snips and Clips: Back to School

Can summer really be over here? Yes, yes it is. Yesterday morning, I took my daughter to orientation. She's officially back to school tomorrow morning. While she is not thrilled, I am definitely looking forward to getting 8 full time hours back to myself every day. First up on my agenda: finish Hel's Belle. So look for some updates on that. I'm also waiting on line edits for Prime Evil. I expect them any day now, I imagine that's going to keep me pretty busy, too. It's a great kind of busy in my book.

Win Sookie Stackhouse Books

Book Junkie is having an awesome contest to win the box set of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels 1-7. What a great idea! I actually don't own any of these books, I checked them all out of the library to read. So this would be a great treat to add to my collection and let me go back to read over and over and over again.

Did I mention that Eric is pretty smoking hot?

True Blood

Speaking of pretty smoking hot, we get new True Blood tonight! What a fun series that show is. Last week, Luke pulled a suicide bomber routine in the Dallas nest. This is an interesting twist on what happened in the book. With all the changes to include Jason in this season, I actually found this to be a good choice. It's stark and startling in our modern world. We don't often think of suicide bombers in our own country, but the FotS and their absolute hatred of vampires makes Luke's choice more believable.







Spotlight On This Week

This week, I have a real treat for my readers. Last month, my Spotlight On featured interviews with numerous book reviewers and bloggers. I wanted to get the inside scoop on what they do and how they do it. This month, our Spotlight On is going to focus on Book Editors. That's right, I've got editors from Quartet Press, Sapphire Blue Publishing and Analects-Ink who consented to interviews and a special interview with a publisher. So be sure to stop by Monday through Thursday for these great interviews, insights and more. I know I learned a lot from their answers!

Book Shopping
I got to go book shopping on Saturday, I don't get to do that near as often as I'd like. I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I decided I'd give it a shot after my anti-zombie rant last week. I also found a copy of Mr. Darcy Vampyre. I read the first chapter at the book store and I will give Amanda Grange great credit for capturing my attention right off the bat. I also found two other great books by an author I haven't seen a new book from in 20 years and then suddenly I find two!

Emma Bull wrote War for the Oaks, one of my all time favorite (and the very first) urban fantasy. I picked up Territory which was apparently published in 2007 and a book called Bone Dance which was originally published in 1991 and re-released last month. So I am very happy with these little gems.

So tell me, what's going on with you this week?

5 comments:

  1. I'm also liking where True Blood is going this season as long as they bring Eric and Sookie together in the story line. That's my favorite part of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    Thanks for the great blog post.
    I'm enjoying the HBO True Blood series also. I am glad they kept Lafayette and introduced Jessica. I loved the "aw shucks" act Eric put on in the last episode before disarming the FotS dolts.
    Looking forward to your review of Mr. Darcy Vampire before I buy it/read it.
    :)
    Love and best wishes,
    twitter: @RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Eric and Sookie are definitely my favorite pairing from the books so I want to see more of them together. I also want Sookie back interacting with Sam -- it's funny, I am noticing her absence in Bon Temps rather profoundly.

    RK - I like Jessica too. I found her very grating at first, but I love what they are doing with her, Jason, Tara and Lafayette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you watch last night's episode. I just loved watching Eric/Sookie's and Godric/Sookie&Eric scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I watched last night's episode. Nekkid Eric was just all kinds of yummy!

    ReplyDelete