Friday, October 2, 2009

Being the Queen (or King) of Your Creative Domain

Welcome to a mini blog bit of Muse Therapy – D. D. Scott style – where it’s all about injecting life into tired and/or stressed out muses. First, a huge thank you to Heather and her Daily Dose for inviting me to do a mini Muse Therapy Session with you today!

I take it many of you may need a writer’s go-to-gal for your muse “disorders”. Bravo! Me too...and I’m the “therapist”! LOL! Being Queen or King of your creative domain may require “therapy” – Muse Therapy that is!

Congratulations, though, on being at the top of the writing game. No denial. No shame. You’re in the writing business for fun, fortune and fame. Right?

Okay. Okay. At least that ideal looks and sounds fabulous on our screens. As a Muse “Therapist”, I give writer’s fun and fabulous tools to analyze their muses’ funks, rein in their creative divas and up their page counts. Together, we discover what makes your muses tick. What ticks them off. And what makes them dance like nobody's watching.

So if your muse is in need of a tune-up, grab a comfy couch or chair and put up your feet. You're in the right therapy session. You’ll have a terrific time conquering your creative divas and taking back the crown of your personal Muse-ville kingdom. It’s soooo good to be Queen (or King) of your creative domain.


But how do you know if you’ve been dethroned? And how do you take back your creative sovereignty? Here are a few clues.

You know you need Muse Therapy When...

1. Your muses aren’t ticking. They’re ticked off.

2. Your muses are in a funk saying “up yours” instead of upping your page counts.

3. Even great sex or a new pair of shoes can’t rein in your creative divas.

4. The following sessions sound appealing:
** Unleashing Your Inner Sybil
** Writing Bi-Polar: I Suck vs. I'm a Genius
** What Do You Mean I'm Neurotic? No, I'm Not. Well, Not Exactly. But Okay...There Are Times When. Like You Need To Know That. Anyway, I Was Thinking, My Jeep Is Red
** Rorschach For Writers: I See Dead Lines
** Stimulants: When Coffee, Chocolate, and Martinis Aren't Enough

5. Your word witches are on their way to publishing Oz but the Yellow Brick Road they’re bootscootin’ on...well...the damn thing never ends!

6. Everyone says your writing is a waste of time, a “hobby” that will never “pay-off”.

7. You feel the urge, however, to tell everyone in reason six to (I’m thinking of a phrase that starts with a 4-letter-word and ends with a ‘you’, ‘off’ or ‘me’).

Here’s the scoop...the secret to upping you page count isn’t done by hurling nasty insults at your muses. Oh no. You’ve got to wine and dine those divas. Whether it’s with coffee, chocolate, fabulous finds in some chic boutique, or with what I call Muse Therapy Trips, it’s all about pampering those chicks and chucks ‘til you get out of them exactly what you want...and then some.

To do this, you’ve got to discover why, when, where and how your muses produce fabulous bursts of ideas on your screen and manuscript pages. A really terrific idea doesn’t have to be the magical end-result of some ya-ya sisterhood ritual. Although, that could be fun too!

You're Not Alone

You’re certainly not alone in your take-back-the-power struggles. Nancy Haddock - national bestselling Berkley author and 2009 Prism Winner for Best First Book (LA VIDA VAMPIRE) - takes Muse Therapy “trips” like I do. She says “...every trip feeds my muses somehow. My trips (usually day trips) are about visiting nearby towns, or new shops, or just going downtown to visit the energy...and the ghosts.”

And how’s this for a fun and fabulous muse therapy “trip”?

Nancy almost always chooses a Starbuck’s drink that her main character likes...and one she can “tolerate drinking.” She says, “I toast my character with her/his drink, sip it, and project myself into my character via taste. This has worked remarkably well.”

Okay. Enough of my anecdotes and psychobabble. It’s your turn to begin to rein in your creative divas. Once you recognize, acknowledge and accept your muses' afflictions, you can find terrific tricks and "trips" to treat your word witches.

1. Get out a pen and paper.

Note: That’s another thing that makes my muses tick...I love quirky fun notepads and notebooks. I hand-write a bunch first to get my creative divas dancing.

2. Document your muses’ fancies and freak-outs

Think big and small and in between too...whatever gives your spirit and zest for life the urge to dance like nobody’s watching. And don’t forget to pay homage to what freaks you out too. What makes you want to crawl under your writing desk and refuse to come out until gas prices are reasonable? Oh yeahhh, Baby, you’re in this career for the long haul! So get over it!!! LOL!!! If all else fails, marry an oil baron or sheikh then you won’t have to worry if your writing is marketable. Plus, baron and sheikh stories always sell.

3. Take your first Muse Therapy Trip – either in real time or via a virtual cyber world cruise. How or why does that “trip” trigger your muses? Document the “what ifs” you discover during your journey...even if they don’t pertain to your current WIP. Someday, some manuscript, you might use the ideas.

4. Let the rest of us in therapy celebrate your success. How are you doing so far? What have you learned about your muses? Don’t be shy. Share your findings on Daily Dose.


Congratulations! Well done! You now know what makes your muses tick and what ticks them off. You’ve indulged their word-producing whims.

But what if the feisty glam girls of your next bestseller are still pouting? What if they’re demanding you dig deeper to uncover their inner conflicts, make them work-it harder for your characters?

Perhaps you suffer from a few of the muse “disorders” I previously listed in the sessions that may sound appealing to you.

If any of the above has you written all over them, don’t worry. You’re among many creative goddesses battling the same devils...regardless whether or not we’re wearing Prada.

Throughout the rest of my Muse Therapy sessions, we explore each of these disorders. We’ll divulge each disorder’s preferred behavioral manifestations then discover fabulous tricks to banish them from our writing kingdoms.

I hope to see you “in therapy” either during my online class sessions or during my live workshops. Check my website www.DDScott.com for dates and locations.

‘Til then...keep your muses happy. Pamper them silly. They’ll be glad you did and so will you.

Sexy, Sassy, Smart Muse Therapy Wishes --- D. D. Scott

You can also follow D.D. Scott on Twitter.

P.S. If you post a comment and join my website mailing list and/or follow me on Twitter, you’ll be eligible to win a fabulous Muse Therapy treat!

7 comments:

  1. TGIF, Muse Therapy Queens-and-Kings-In-Training!

    I'm thrilled to be here at Daily Dose!

    Can't wait to hear about your Muse Therapy "Trips"...

    Sexy Sassy Smart Muse Therapy Wishes --- D. D. Scott
    http://www.DDScott.com
    http://twitter.com/ddscottromcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took D.D's Muse Therapy Class to help whip my Lazy Lucy muse into shape. It only took D.D two weeks to change Lucy to Lot-of-Fun Lucy!! She no longer sit in the chaise lounge waving her feather boa, she is waiting on me now!! Thanks again D.D. Your Muse Therapy rocks!!!
    Tonya Kappes
    Chasingheroes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning D.D., Sounds as if you have you muses in high gear & energy packed today! Sure makes for an interesting read-----keep it coming! Muse therapy sounds like so much fun, plus you can get your creative juices flowing! jaw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Tonya!

    You are the ultimate Muse Therapy Queen! Congrats on reining in Lucy - feather boa and all!

    Thanks bunches for stopping by and for the fabulous Muse Therapy testimonial!

    I can't wait to see what you and Lucy create together! Enjoy being Queen of your creative domain!

    You've soooo earned the right to rule your Muse-ville kingdom!

    Sexy Sassy Smart Muse Therapy Wishes --- D. D. Scott
    http://www.DDScott.com
    http://twitter.com/ddscottromcom

    ReplyDelete
  5. TGIF, Jaw!

    Thanks soooo much for dropping in today and for your Muse Therapy enthusiasm!

    I have a blast teaching writers how to rein in their creative divas and up their page counts. Writing-for-publication is soooo beyond tough. Anything I can do to make that journey filled with LOL fun and fabulous moments of inspiration keeps my muses dancing on the pages too! It's all about Paying It Forward!

    Sexy Sassy Smart Muse Therapy Wishes --- D. D. Scott
    http://www.DDScott.com
    http://twitter.com/ddscottromcom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very proud of your accomplishments! Keep chasing your dreams because one day you will catch them! Love you. Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lingus!

    I hope I'm always that "crazy Aunt D. D."!

    I've found my passion and hope with Muse Therapy to Pay It Forward for other writers struggling with the same doubt demons I've fought and continue to fight.

    Thanks soooo much for stopping by today!

    Sexy Sassy Smart Muse Therapy Wishes and Love You Bunches Back! --- D. D. Scott
    http://www.DDScott.com
    http://twitter.com/ddscottromcom

    ReplyDelete