Monday, October 5, 2009

Magical Places

Good morning everyone! Welcome back to one of my favorite magical places, the Daily Dose! First and foremost, I want to send out a huge thank you to all my fabulous guest bloggers: Kelly Ann Zuzulo, Candace Havens, Nikki Duncan, D.D. Scott, Cheeky Reads Sabrina, Kristin Calendar, Debra Kayn and my interviewee Shannon K. Butcher! I hope you all enjoyed this week as much as I did. I couldn’t have had such a great anniversary without all of you fantastic ladies, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Magical Places on Earth

Speaking of magical places, I spent the last week at the most magical place on Earth: Disney World. My husband and I are huge fans of Disney; we were married there ten years ago. This year’s vacation was even more fun because since the kiddo went back to school, all three of us have been running in different directions. We rarely spend this much time in each other’s back pockets. Thankfully, we didn’t get on each other’s nerves that much.

One of the things I noticed about Disney right away was the wash of languages swirling through the air. Of those I recognized: Japanese, Dutch, German, Italian, French and Portuguese. We sat in line with a lovely lady from Manchester in the United Kingdom and another family down from Quebec in Canada. I had coffee with an older couple from Belgium. One afternoon at the pool, I shared a table with a couple celebrating fifty years of marriage. They were here from upstate New York, but emigrated from Ireland in the 60s. They attended the opening of Disney World in 1971 and Epcot in 82.

The swirl of language, the texture of accents and even the distinct cultural flavors of their word choices ticked me pink. Three or four characters were born this week, including a mystery novelist who comes to Disney World looking for inspiration and finds murder instead!

Around the World in Eight Hours

Two days at Epcot strolling around the walk of nations fired the imagination. We sat and had tea in Morocco, dinner in Japan and desert in Norway. We paused for a visit in Italy. My daughter was getting her passport signed and making a mask that she decorated and added to in each nation. Sitting there in the Italian market place that pays homage to Venice, I found myself studying the shrine to Neptune (Poseidon for those of us who prefer the Greek) and just soaking it up.

Sure, none of these places are the real thing and very likely pale in comparison, but for me, my imagination soared higher than the Epcot ride Soarin’. I soaked it all up, letting my creative mind ferment a fine cabernet of story ideas. Yes, I am so ready to get back to writing after this week! I feel like my muse has booster rockets underneath her fairy wings.

Firing the Imagination

As you read this, I will likely be driving or just arriving back home. I enjoyed our odyssey by car on the way here. I am looking forward to getting back on the road heading home. My daughter is excited because she will be finishing a book on iPod and starting the next in the Percy Jackson series. I will be writing in my head and first on my list when I get home is finishing up the Prime Evil edits. We’re looking at a release date in two or three weeks, fingers crossed. I’ll definitely post more data when I have it.

Daily Dose Mug Winner

And one last small piece of business! For September, the mug winner is RKCHARRON! Congratulations Rob We had 43 possible entries and you are the lucky winner of a Daily Dose mug. I’ll be in touch when I am home for your address so I can get your mug on its way to you!


Remember, all you have to do to win a coffee mug from the Daily Dose is comment on a blog during that month. That’s it!

Congratulations again Rob! All right, lovely people, what did you enjoy about my anniversary week? Inquiring minds want to know.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather :)
    Thank you for the mug!
    I love the design on it, I'll be able to carry your Header around!
    I loved the guest bloggers. I was introduced to some great new (for me) authors.
    I'm glad you had an amazing wonderful vacation.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo
    PS - DM'd you my addy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time :) I'm still a Disney virgin :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a great time! Thanks again for letting me be one of the guest bloggers, I had a lot of fun. =)

    ReplyDelete