Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spotlight On: Dakota Cassidy

Today, the Daily Dose shines our Spotlight On on accidental author Dakota Cassidy. She's smart, she's sassy and she's so much fun to talk to. I've had the pleasure of meeting Dakota, Michele and Rosemary (all featured authors this week) and I've really enjoyed getting to know them. Dakota lives right around the corner from me, so that really adds to the fun because we can actually complain about the weather and more. I was tickled when she agreed to this interview and you will soon find out why.

Dakota has what I like to call a wealth of personality and it really shows in her answers. If you have never read her books, I think you'll want to after our Spotlight On because frankly, her sense of humor shines so brightly. So without further ado, Dakota Cassidy.

What inspired the Accidental Werewolf? I remember laughing out loud at the back cover blurb. It was a new and it was fresh and it was funny.

I attended (unofficially) the Dallas RWA in 2004. I was due to meet my agent in person for the first time, and when I pulled up to the hotel, there were all these women wearing tiaras and brightly colored biz suits. Imagine my shock that somehow, MY PEOPLE existed somewhere other than my head. LOLLOL.

Actually, it was the lovely ladies of Mary-Kay, and are they a dedicated bunch. I don't know why I put the two together, but after a weekend with them all running around, hearing their pitches etc, I thought, wouldn't it be funny IF one of them was a werewolf. The rest is history :) Also, were's look like dogs to me. So I thought, what happened if one bit you when you were doing the "Aw, cute doggie" thing or what if it was an accident. Somehow, in my nutty mind, the two collided and here we are :)


How hard is it to bring the funny to your writing? Do you have to 'think' about it or is that how the words flow?

I don't think I'm funny at all. I say that all the time, and it's true. I don't set out to be funny. Nowadays, I kinda know I have to be because that's what I'm paid or, but I'm blissfully ignorant to "how" it happens. It just does, and most of the stuff I think is a giggle, no one else pays attention to or even mentions. That'll show me, huh? LOL


What is the most challenging part of writing the relationship dynamics of your characters?

Crap, tension. I have such trouble keeping things dark that my conflicts are always mostly internal. There are external factors, but I blow chunks and making people angry with each other.


What is the first element of the character that comes clear to you?

Their fashion sense... no, I kid. Usually, it's a name, or a quirk they have that I can blow all out of proportion :)


What do you enjoy reading?

Anything that isn't mine. LOL. Mark Henry, Michele Bardsley, Jaye Wells, Nina Bangs, Sandra Hill, SEP, Stephen King and lurve me some Koontz.


Would you describe a typical working/writing day? What routines or rituals do you observe to get your writing done?

I take all day to prep to write, and most of that has to do with the slugs who live with me. Tee hee. I get up, answer email, Tweet, FB, shower, dress, run errands, vacuum, do household stuff, cook (IhatetocookIhatetocook) set the coffee pot, turn the dishwasher on, watch a little TV and then I'm in my office by 10 p.m. and I don't leave until I'm sure someone's eyeballs will bleed :) Usually, that's like 5-6 in the morning.


As a writer, what's the most difficult part of the process for you? The creating? The editing? The submitting?

The submitting. I don't care how well a series has done or not, I panic. It makes me want to curl up in a ball and not communicate with anyone until I have an answer one way or the other.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I can't recall my last book... Snort. I can't say for sure because I'd have to go read it again, but I'm sure there'd be stuff I want to add or subtract because I'm a tweak-fiend. So thanks for making me nuts :)


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Nope. I swear, it just happened. I was an online reviewer, read a ton of e-books, had a thought one day, and BAM. Though I will say, I never even considered submitting to NY. I didn't even know what that meant. I sent it to another friend who was an e-author, she said I was funny. I sent it in. Here I am. I know. I don't get it either :)


Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Right now I'm working on a straight contemporary called Suck It Up, Princess. Sweet mutha--I just gotta say, it's been work. Without a paranormal element to hook people with, I've really had to work on that whole conflict thing a lot. I'm exhausted. Who has spa day coupons?


Author to Author

Is it difficult to keep the ideas fresh from story to story? Any tips or insights for upping the freshness factor?

Not so far. What is hard to keep fresh is the same old snark--the same metaphorically funny comparisons. But my humor is pop-culture related much of the time and there's always a new name floating around to slam someone with. So I'm good. LOLLOL

Bonus Question:
Rock Band vs Guitar Hero - which is better?

Ohhhhhh, I haz a sad, but RB. Better choice of downloads for new music, from what I hear, closer to actually playing the song. Plus, GH has a ton of metal stuff that I just can't lose an ovary trying to get right.

Win a Gift Certificate for Amazon
Win a trick of book spending money to go with the fabulous treat that is Dakota. Dakota Cassidy is offering a $15 gift certificate to Amazon for one lucky commentator! All you have to do is comment to be entered. The lucky winner will be announced on All Hallows Eve: October 31st.

Keep up with the fabulous Dakota Cassidy at her website.

69 comments:

  1. I'm still giggling...very fun interview!! Definitely need to check out these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the snark in the Accidental series. Just, make up rep & diva becoming a werewolf. It's just tooo funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Dakota's books and great interview!

    I was able to sit in on a panel Dakota did at the last RT convention and she was fabulous and funny. Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather :)
    Thank you for having Dakota here today & thanks to Dakota for sharing. I could practically hear Dakota's voice in her answers.
    :)
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo
    PS - Don't you think SUCK IT UP PRINCESS would make great T-Shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, RK--I'm in yer head--lookout! LOLLOL

    Everyone else, thank you :)

    Dakota :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lurve ya babe.... you are the awesome and I hope to be famous like you one day..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. DC, you are a riot. I can't wait for SIUP, and I think the t-shirt idea is fab! Put me on the waiting list :o)
    --Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for another wonderful interview. More delicious things we learn about Dakota. I would buy one of those t-shirts by the way!
    Love your books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Dakota's books. She really makes me laugh.

    Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally love Dakota and her books!! She does snark so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview. Love your books. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dakota ish awesome! I always enjoy reading her tweets and posts on facebook. They always get a giggle or smile from me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tee Hee. Wouldn't be Dakota if no RB was mentioned! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dakota who? I'm just here for the book. LOL I'M KIDDING!!once again, another fun time with our beloved DC. Question that should have been asked: How many drum sets have you destroyed playing RB?
    Lub ya, Babe

    ReplyDelete
  15. rmelifr? do I know you? LOLLOL

    I haven't actually totally trashed anything--YET. I have broken a pad or two, but I bought a badass drumset by Ion instead of the cheap versions they make to go w/the games. So far, so good :)

    DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great interview! Dakota always makes my day better in FB and on Twitter. Can't wait for the newest book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too Funny! Always lurva a Dakota interview! Can't wait to read Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dakota, your sense of humor is so well established, it comes out in your interviews as well as your book,. I love a book that makes me laugh and yours do thats for sure! The accidental seires just tore me up, the three friends, each so different but so intertwined it just made for a perfect story, and the cracks between the about thier chosen mates were the best. I can't wait to see what you come up with in a story that isnt a paranormal type storyline. I know you'll pull it off! Good job!! chrismil19991@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay Dakota! I think it's hilarious that you're sort of an accidental author, considering your heroines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. loved the interview. And she should come with a spew alert lol. Man trick or treating should be as much fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved your interview - especially the part about what inspired the Accidental Werewolf, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dakota is a funny and kind young lady, and I am glad that I had the pleasure of meeting her at RT2009 Orlando. She deserves every success. It was good to hear how she started out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview and I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun interview! Just recently finished KISS AND HELL, and loved it <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great interview, as usual you keep the giggles coming!! Can't wait for the next book to come out! Have to say I think this week I love Nina the best, it could change next week though!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed your interview. I absolutely adore Dakota's books! They never fail to put me in a good mood. Looking forward to Suck It Up, Princess being released! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember seeing Dakota at RT in Pittsburgh (panel? elevator? bar? I think it was a panel but I'm old and blond so who knows, really), and yes, whoever said they could hear D's voice through the interview, I agree. Though I am also vaguely remembering you had a cold or cough at RT '08? Enough rambling. Reading Kiss & Hell and loving it, of course. Can't wait for SIUP!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed reading the interview.

    I look forward in reading more of Dakota's works.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dakota your books crack me up i had the pleasure of reading your first one last week i have to say i cant wait for suck it up princess

    ReplyDelete
  30. I almost bought Accidental Werewolf, but put it down for some reason. Now I want to go back and try to find it at the book store! Good interview

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Dakota,
    You are a new to me Author and I'm glad I found you and your books. Mary Kay and Werewolves. That's great.Look forward to reading Accidental Werewolf. And thanks for sharing.
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks everyone who's stopped by, Dakota is definitely someone who can hit it out of the park, even when I spontaneously change dates on her without meaning too! I am eagerly looking forward to Suck it Up Princess, from the title alone!

    ReplyDelete
  33. what a funny story about the accidental werewolf creation. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  34. forgot to add love the picture at the top of the page lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your interview!

    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  36. First let me start by saying I absolutely adore your banner!!! OMG, it is adorable!!!
    Second, that interview was awesome!
    Hope you don't mind a tag along!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Dakota. Great interview. Love your story about the inspiration for the Accidental Werewolf.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for telling us so much about yourself. I just love your unique twist in your stories. Can't wait to read Accidental Werewolf.
    I also love Sandra Hill's books. Can't stop laughing when dealing with Tante Lulu.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great interview....I agree about Rock Band!!!! Best question

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved your interview. You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I own and love all of Dakota's books. And haven't had the pleasure of meeting her in person, but have seen her in her pj's on her vlog, so I feel like I have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your book. They're so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the books. I think my favorite character is Nina. Clarisa, Witchgirlkc@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Mawnin', everyone!

    Thank you, thank you for stopping by to show your support!

    Amy-I was hoarse. Happens every con. I yak a lot. People stop me a lot to talk and I always lose my vice. Plus, I think I was like panel whore that con--so I'd done a few. LOLLOL

    Mardel--you put it down because you found something BETTER--wise choice. LOLLOL

    Dudes--you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Enjoyed the interview! Look forward to reading
    your work, I'm a newbie!

    Pat Cochran

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well, I know I am very glad that you are funny even if you don't think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great interview.
    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  48. Awesome interview, but then again I love Dakota and have been lucky enough to got to a couple of book signings and even had a meal after :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. You are one funny lady. That is a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love how all the characters are so sassy in the Accidental series!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Never have read any of her stiuff, but the Accidental sounds veeeery interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love reading your books since I know I will be in for some fun; not to forget the nice werewolves!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I really enjoyed the accidental werewolf book. I thought the cover was pretty well done as well Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks, everyone for dropping in! I appreciate the support :)

    Big hugs,
    DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love your books and am excited to read whatever you print but I must admit I like the escape from reality I get with your paranormal books. Especially the Accidental series. BTW they were my first adult romance books I read and I'm 33ish. LOVED IT but have trouble finding others with your humor

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great interview. Love the Accidental Friends series and cant wait to see whats next.

    ReplyDelete
  57. You are so funny! Loved the interview!I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oh, thanks, Stacy--here's some thoughts on others of a similar nuttiness. Mary janice Davidson, Michele Bardsley (not quite the snotty--mean humor I do, but good humor), Molly Harper, Shelly Laurenston :)

    Everyone else, thank you!

    DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Mary Kay does work wonders!

    gcwhiskas at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  60. Dakota, you interview like you write....funny! Keep writing! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow, I'm a newbie to your writing. You have a new fan! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Nener nener nener - I just pre-ordered Accidentally Demonic...hahahahhaha...I'm the best faaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn....So, DC - get to writing some more, you don't really expect me to wait until February 2, 2010 for the next installment do you? Yeah, I bet you do - now I'm pouting, just thought you'd like a visual.

    Gina G in Springfield, IL where it is so stinking cold I can SEE my boyfriend fart.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Okay, I feel like a dweeb but...who is SEP?

    ReplyDelete
  64. You are funny and I loved your interview. Looking forward to your Princess story!

    ReplyDelete
  65. LOl@Gina. You crack me up, and thank you! And you don't have to wait until Dec 2010. Look for My Way To Hell (Kiss an Hell's sequel) in July 2010 :)

    Jackie--SEP is Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Get the to a bookstore and buy her up--she's AWESOME!

    Dakota :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. WOW such a great interview. One of the best I have ever read. I love your books and can't wait to read more of them. Keep up the good work, you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  67. The interview was fun and funny! I, regretfully, have only read a couple of Dakota's books. However,they were great fun! I plan on reading many more. Thanks for the interview, the books and the chance for a great prize. Keep up the great writing.

    joey

    ReplyDelete