Friday, October 16, 2009

Spotlight On: Heather Long


Wrapping up our Spotlight On week with a little bit of a twist. Lisa Pietsch, author of the fabulous A Path to Freedom, serves as guest host as the spotlight shines behind the scenes on blog creator and author Heather Long.

I first met Heather Long when we were both hired to write blogs at Families.com back in December 2005. I’m proud to call her a good friend of mine, although I’ve never laid eyes on her, and I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’ve been a huge fan of Heather’s since the moment we met. I started out reading her non-fiction and loving it. Now that she’s writing fiction, I love it even more. I’d like to think I had something to do with Heather getting her first book, Remembering Ashby, published but I know my only contribution was suggesting she take it to my publisher before any other. (The fact is any publisher would have jumped at that story.)

You know that friend you have that is just the coolest of cool - the one who always has something interesting to say and the one the party never starts without? Well, that’s Heather. I could keep going on about her but, if I did, she’d know I have a little bit of a girl crush on her. (She may already know.)

No matter what she writes, you’ll want to read it. I know I certainly do! I’m waiting on pins & needles for the release of Prime Evil.

What is the premise for Prime Evil?

In Prime Evil, Chance Monroe (introduced in my free short story over at All Romance eBooks It Happens) has her life turned upside down when a serial killer from her past returns to target her. She is reunited with ex-lover and dear friend Jack who also works with the FBI. The tale is an urban fantasy with a little suspense thrown in for good measure.



We know it is a fantasy but is there a romance involved? What is the main relationship in this story?

The main relationship is Chance’s with Jack. There are numerous romantic elements coming to the fore throughout the story. Jack’s obviously rekindling his interest in Chance and Chance adores him. Whether it survives the test of time, we’ll have to wait and see. As the story is in first person, it’s all about how characters tie into Chance.

How long have you known the Prime Evil characters and how long did it take to write the story?

The very first draft of Prime Evil was written in 2001 after my daughter was born. So I’ve known them for about eight years now. Chance is one of my more vivid characters and she has such personality when I am writing it is hard to hear the others in the story. It helps that she is super snarky.

Which character is most like you?

Chance definitely gets her snarkiness from me. We have a lot of attitude in common and the entire area she lives in is where I lived for over a decade. So I feel very much at home in her skin.

Tell us about the antagonist. Is there a bad guy?

Yes, for Prime Evil the bad guy is a serial killer by the name of Randall Oakes. He likes to stab his victims, typically in secluded parking lots on college campuses. Chance has four vicious scars from an attack that should have killed her eight years ago. He’s dark, he’s mysterious and apparently risen from the grave.

What character was the easiest to write?

Chance was easy most of the time, even when she was being stubborn. But I think the easiest character to write outside of Chance was her best friend Sydney. I really wanted a lot more Sydney in the book than I was able to put in there. Sydney definitely makes an appearance in the first fifty pages of Seismos which is the second Chance Monroe Adventure.

What character was the most difficult?

That’s at toss-up between Jack and Callanport. I don’t want to give too many details here, but you’ll see as you read that Jack and Chance have a great relationship, but they don’t share everything and some of those pieces – which are big pieces – are supplied by Callanport, which really frustrated me at times.

When can we expect to see Prime Evil available and where?

Prime Evil is being published by Sapphire Blue Publishing as an e-book and it is due out this October. So stay tuned! I’m kind of hoping for a Halloween launch date myself. You’ll be able to find it at multiple online e-sellers including Amazon.

What can we expect to see from you next?

NaNoWriMo is probably my next big challenge. I have the first draft of Hel’s Belle done, but I am not ready to go back there. While I was working on final edits for Prime Evil, I couldn’t get The Forgotten out of my head which is the sequel to Remembering Ashby. I also have a YA urban fantasy that is in very rough draft form. Yes, I am aware that is not a direct answer.

How cool is Lisa Pietsch? (Because you know it is all about me ;-)

She is so cool I get chills just thinking about her.


Get a sneak peak at Prime Evil! Feel free to post any questions, comments or kudos you have! One lucky commentator will win a free copy of Prime Evil. So get those comments going! The winner will be drawn on October 31st! You’ll also find a copy of Prime Evil included in this month’s Trick or Treat prize bag!

7 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thank you Lisa for the great interview with Heather. It was fun to peek behind the curtain & learn more about Heather. Thank you for sharing Heather! I'm looking forward to Prime Evil too.
    Love & Best Wishes,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know both Heather and Lisa too, and they rock. Like, way beyond all rockingness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, Hi Lisa!
    Great Interview! Prime Evil sounds like it is going to be fantastic!!!!
    I've got this pimped out on my contest blog!
    http://bookminded.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Heather! So good to read your interview!

    I can't wait to read Prime Evil - I relaly enjoyed It Happens. Loved Remembering Ashby!

    Good luck with NaNoWriMo - i'm trying it for the first time (taking off the book blogger hat and putting on writer's hat). Crossing my fingers it's the kick in the pants that I need to get going with my current idea.


    Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis sounds like an interesting book and I am curious to see how good it is after 8 years in the making !..
    If the giveaway is open worldwide, then please include me in the drawing.
    Thank you.

    Carol


    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds good.


    kalynnick AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the interview Heather and Lisa—it makes me look forward to your joint travel blog all the more! You two keep the smiles coming!!

    AND I was already excited to read Prime Evil, now I can't wait. Great cover too!

    ReplyDelete