Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Snips and Clips: Cylons, Seekers and Sounds

Can it really be Sunday already? Lesigh, the weeks seem to fly by faster and faster. It was Spotlight On week here at the Daily Dose where we interviewed: Michele Bardsley, Dakota Cassidy, Patricia Briggs, Rosemary Clement-Moore and Heather Long. You'll find a work from each of them in our big Trick or Treat grab bag at the end of the month. So be sure to comment for a chance to win.

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan

When they announced they were remaking Battlestar Galactica in 2004, I was leery of it. I am a fan of the original and actually owned the whole series on tape and then later on DVD. I grew up watching the show. I didn't want to see a part of my childhood raped for ratings. I thought the mini-series was interesting and a fascinating take on the ruthlessness of the attacks and the hard decisions that had to be made afterwards.

From the outset, Boomer was my favorite character and I mourned with her when we left Helo behind on Caprica. The twist at the end, revealing that Sharon "Boomer" Valerii was a cylon was one of the best parts. The series continued that thread, adding Athena (another Sharon) to the mix. Athena and Helo fell in love and conceived a child, something no other humanoid cylon had managed. Despite learning she was a cylon, Helo remained devoted to Athena and that devotion paid off in the end. Throughout the series, this is the storyline that brought me back time and again, even when I found other aspects annoying or frustrating. I found the Cylons to be fascinating.

The release of The Plan is something I've looked forward to since they announced it. It's the story of the mini-series and those first few weeks completely from the Cylon perspective.

Sounds to Die By

Not every novel I am dying to read lives up to the teases I get hyped up by. Fortunately, Sounds to Die By not only lives up to my internal hype, it exceeds it.

"Every place has a distinct soundtrack." Ian tells Kieralyn during their first encounter. "Those soundtracks are stored in my brain."

Sounds to Die By has a pulsing, rhythmic beat that mixes Boston sensibility with Miami sound machine to create a passionate movement that sustains throughout the novel. From Ian and Kieralyn's first encounter to the last, this is an emotiontrack that I won't forget anytime soon. Nikki Duncan mixes romance and suspense brilliantly.

I only have one question for the author: "May I have some more, please?"

Eastwick

Remaking the 'Witches of Eastwick' as a television series? Is Hollywood that desperate for fresh ideas that they have to keep remaking all the great movies and shows of the late 70s and 80s? Despite being in developmental hell for so long, I am so glad the producers kept driving the project forward. Rebecca Romjin is a powerhouse as Roxie: she's sexy, she's earthy and she's more woman than most of those men could handle. She's not a size zero, either. She's a real woman with real curves.

Then there's Kat, the earth mother, the nurturer with five kids and a sub-zero loser of a husband that she still loves, but isn't willing to bend over for anymore. As much as you want to see Kat hit her husband with lightning (and who didn't cheer when that happened?), you are also proud of her taking the high road even if it is hard on her. Seriously though, I am troubled that she would trust Raymond with the kids on a week in and out basis, she must know something we don't about loser boy.

Finally, Joanna - oy vey Joanna. Her best friend says she is going to get Joanna a muzzle and she's right, Joanna needs one. Most of us have a filter that keeps every inane thought we have from spilling out our mouths, but whenever testosterone assaults her senses, Joanna just can't shut up. Talk about taking truthsaying to the farthest degree.

After three episodes, I have to say, this show continues to bat it out of the park and refuses to be predictably categorized (as you may have noted yesterday, I like it when stuff avoids predictability).

Who is your favorite character?

Legend of the Seeker Returns
Saturday, November 7th, the second season of Legend of the Seeker kicks off and after watching this trailer -- va-va-voom! I am literally on the edge of my seat waiting:



6 comments:

  1. Heather, thank you for the review. I'm so glad you loved the story.

    And OMG, Legend of the Seeker is coming back? I had no idea! We loved that show!!! I'm all giddy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eastwick!! I also enjoy Legend of the Seeker, though not as much. I'm actually downloading the second season for it now, instead of waiting for it to hit t.v.

    check it out at http://eztv.it for the downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather :)
    BSG The Plan sounds interesting. As does Caprica (are they still doing that series?). I love the fun LotS.
    Thanks for sharing,
    I'm adding SOUNDS TO DIE BY to my ToBeRead list.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, thank you for the great book! I'm excited about Legend of the Seeker too. Rob, not sure about Caprica, I think in January. I wasn't that impressed by the two hour pilot movie for it.

    Fredamans, glad to hear you love Eastwick too. I want to support LoTS so I'll get it from iTunes or watch it when it airs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I oddly enough remember the original Battlestar Galactica with Lorne Green and enjoyed it at the time; I could not link the two shows together but my son now he loves the newer version. And I missed the preview of Caprica.
    I haven't watched Eastwick yet but I will be trying to; though I did enjoy Vampire Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started watching the legend of the seeker but they keep changing the time but it is great. this time of the year you seem to watch more tv or read

    horseunicornkey@aol.com

    ReplyDelete