Thursday, October 1, 2009

You Put a Spell on Me

Welcome to October here at the Daily Dose! While you are reading this, I am still on vacation at the most magical place on Earth (yes, Disney World!). In the meanwhile, I've had a host of fantastic guest bloggers filling in for me this week and you still have a few days left with them. I wanted to make a couple of short announcements for the beginning of the month. I will be drawing the September Daily Dose Mug winner as soon as I get back. Remember I am giving away a mug every month, all you have to do to enter is comment on a blog!

Second announcement, it's Halloween month, one of my favorite months of the year. I'll be giving away a special prize this month, a trick or treat gift bag packed with goodies. You'll see clues to what's in the bag throughout the month in different blogs. More details on how to enter that when I get back. Now without further ado, let me turn you over to Sabrina from Cheeky Reads who is sharing her passion for witches (a subject near and dear to my heart!).

I'll be honest, everything I know about witches I learned through fictional stories.

I'd loved witches in my entertainment for years before it finally became clear to me what the attraction was. Without knowing it I had gravitated to witches in everything from movies to television and finally into my favorite medium – books.

Practical Magic

It started with movies like Practical Magic. They introduced me to a world of witches beyond just that presented in Disney movies. Yes, there were still the older, wiser witches that provided the comedy but there was also this innocent and non-violent look at witches. I won't go into all the movies that portray witches as crazy, or vindictive or even as villains. Those are many, but Practical Magic was one of the first to really make me take notice of the idea of the “good witch.”

For television, nothing had the addictive quality that Charmed did for me. The Halliwell sisters represented the ultimate good guys and used their witch powers to save the world. Not only was this show fun, but it cemented my love of a great witch stories. I've seen every episodes numerous times – except the one where Prue dies! If anyone can tell me about that episode please do. I've searched for it and can't find it!

A relative newbie to paranormals and urban fantasy, I was incredibly lucky to stumble upon Kim Harrison in my local library. The awesomeness that is her Rachel Morgan Series is at the top of my all-time best list and introduced me to a story that included more details – partially based in fact and twisted with imagination I'm sure – of where a witch’s power really comes from and how she draws on it. As a reviewer, I've noticed more and more books putting this kind of detail into their stories and it's a big step forward. Especially for my reading enjoyment!

So what is it about these various witch stories that draws me in and puts a spell on me?

There is a central element to all witch stories – that the heroine is more powerful than she could ever imagine – that's makes for an incredibly compelling story and naturally lends itself to character growth. That central idea is evident in all of the examples I mentioned and it's why they work so well. That all the power and strength you'll ever need to combat any foe is within you is a lovely ideal and a wonderful message that I love reading!

Are you a fan of witches in your Paranormals & Urban Fantasies? If so, what do you think draws you to them and what author does them really well? My TBR pile is always open for more suggestions!

11 comments:

  1. I'm hoping for some good author and book suggestions today...anyone have any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have and haven't read many romances with witches in them.
    Authors and series that come to mind are Cheyenne McCray's MAGIC series. And the first 4 books of THE IMMORTALS. A series written by Jennifer Ashley, Joy Nash and Robin T. Popp. These are books I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! I love witchy stuff too! Have you read any of the Charmed books? Those were a big weakness of mine for a while. lol The one where Prue dies is the last episode in season 3. It's good!
    As for books, I really love Kim Harrison too. Kelly Armstrong also has some kick butt witches in her Otherworld novels. Caitlin Kittredge has a witches in her Nocturne series too. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    Have you checked out Eastwick yet? I'm loving it. It's kooky yet satisfying. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blood Magic by Jennifer Lyon has a great witch thing going on. The second book comes out soon too! It has witches and witch slayers..etc.. plus yummy alpha men :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madelyn Alt's Bewitching Mysteries are cozy mysteries which feature a young woman who discovers she has witcy powers. It isn't a romance although there is a romantic subplot which runs through the series. Cute, easy beach read type books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Prue died is one of my favorite episodes, not cuz she died but b/c of the content of the episodes. I love supernatural books, movies, whatever. I am fascinated by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am digging my mind...looking at bookshelves...witches hhhmmmmm - 5 minutes later - I don't think I have witches on my shelves. Shapeshifters, yes, vampires, yes, demons, angels and fey, all there. But no real witches, or they inhabit the books I haven't read before :D

    I did love to watch Charmed though, especially Phoebe and a.d.a Cole Turner a.k.a Belthazar *shiver of delight* had a great romance story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo!

    Pearl - I'm writing those down!

    Rachel M - There are Charmed books?!? Caitlin and Kelly are fab - love them. Thank you so much for the Prue info - yes! Going to look that up now.

    Mandi - I have Blood Magic on my TBR pile - I'll move it up now!

    Rene - I LOVE cozies! A cozy crossed with a Witch sounds like my perfect book!

    BriaB - Now I have to get that episode - I'm so jealous you've seen it!

    Leontine - Love me some Cole and I still follow Alyssa Milano on twitter becuase I loved Phoebe so much!

    Thanks ladies! I'll stop by the comments a little later to check in. I'll pick a random winner and send you an Urban Fantasy (one with witches!) and let you know in the comments tomorrow morning or ask Heather to post it tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought about this question since yday but I can't seem to remember a book only about witches. They are always only side-characters(Nocturne City series by Caitlin Kitredge). I read one in German about witches *have to look up the English title*
    Its by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko and it's called "Age of the Witch". It was a bit confusing(could be the German translation) but I enjoyed reading it.
    I heard much about Kimberly Frost's Southern Witch series but I havne't read it so far.

    And I so love Charmed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used Random.org and the winner of a Urban Fantasty book from me is...

    Comment # 5 - Rene!

    Rene - send me an email with your mailing address to cheekyreads @ gmail.com (wihtout spaces) and I'll send you a surprise book!

    Thanks for visiting with me everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charmed....talk about Twisted Sisters!

    gcwhiskas at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete