Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Dialogue, Dialogue, Dialogue

It’s day four and we’re really revving now. My morning routine is set, I get up, I work out, I shower, I hydrate and then I have coffee and a bagel. I will spend an hour writing before I hit the road for the office. I’ll work on my novel during my lunch hour and I’ll work on it when I get home. Sometimes I’m going at it piecemeal and other times, I’m stuck in traffic, quoting dialogue to myself via my phone’s recorder. So let’s talk about dialogue.

Exercise Your Dialogue Skills

I challenge you to do your writing today without the use of dialogue tags or description. Just write the dialogue. See the people having the conversation in your head and just write down their dialogue. It might be easier to do if you are writing about only two characters, but go for the challenge of three if you feel up to it.

When you write dialogue only, you have to confront all the words your characters are using. The dialogue must convey emotion, depth, perspective, history and even setting. Sometimes, when you go rogue and you write only the dialogue, you can identify weaknesses in the characters, their relationship and even potential problems that you weren’t aware of being there. So take a chance this week in your NaNoing and go for dialogue only. You might be surprised by what you find.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment