Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Pace Yourself

Was your word count lower yesterday than you wanted it to be? Did you write a lot more than you thought you could? Did the fact that it was Monday get in the way of what you wanted to be doing? It’s okay. Take a deep breath. The madness that is NaNoWriMo is supposed to be fun. Don’t get so obsessed by word count that you forget that.

Forgive Yourself

This is your story and your storytelling. Some people fly through the early drafts while others agonize over every word. Some people have to outline, map and plan each step their character is going to take while others just write it off the top of their heads. There is no one right way to participate in this challenge except the way that is right for you.

So what if you didn’t make your word count? Don’t sweat it. Forgive yourself and move on to writing today. Don’t get so tied up in knots about what you didn’t do that you can’t succeed at what you want to do. If you write something and you hate it, don’t worry about that either. You can fix it in the edits.
What are you working on right now?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Heather! I love these NaNo posts.

    I've been surprised that I've made my goal each day. Yesterday I went over, but only by a hundred or so words - I find that 1700 approx. mark is a good one for me so far.

    I will say what I wrote yesterday was 100x better than what I wrote on Sunday. It took me all day Sunday staring at the screen to mash out 1791 horrible words. I mean ALL DAY! I'd say it was a good 8 hrs. I just couldn't get started.

    I wrote 1770 in an hour last night and again, it's so much better. I'm getting a better feel for the characters and find their voice.

    I hope this keeps up, but I'm sure there will be hurdles to come!

    ReplyDelete