Friday, November 6, 2009

NaNoWriMo: The Soundtrack

Music plays a vital part of what I do. Whether I am copywriting, writing fiction, cleaning house or even studying - I listen to music. Some music is more appropriate to some work – for example, I love a good hip beat to the music when I am cleaning the house. Although I have been known to bust out the classics with strong percussion.

When I’m driving, I can’t listen to the soundtrack from the movie The Rock, I tend to speed when listening to thrum of the music. By the same token, I can’t listen to moody jazz or mourning blues because it makes me sleepy. I go for that combo of show tunes, bubblegum rock and new age. Those keep me alert and on target.


When I’m copywriting, I try to avoid lyrical music going for instrumental pieces only. But when I am writing fiction, particularly a novel, I go for the music that’s going to capture the flavor of the story that I am writing. Pick your music with care; a jarring song can take me right out of the mood. Some of the albums I chose for The Forgotten include:

*Adiemus Live
*Songs of Sanctuary (Adiemus)
*Chant (Benedictine Monks)
*The Rock soundtrack (Various)
*Enya (Different Albums)
*Enigma (Different Albums)
*Clannad (Different Albums)



Ultimately, as you can see there is a very strong Celtic theme to the music which fits for the time period I am setting The Forgotten in. But currently, even when I am just relaxing, the moment I hear Adiemus, I am transported to the Isle of the God Touched and beyond to the Black Mountains and to the war that looms on the horizon.

What music are you listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment