Saturday, November 7, 2009

Princess Bride Quotes

In 1973, William Goldman released a little fairy tale by the name of The Princess Bride. It is a unique story, featuring a grandfather reading a tale to his grandson. The tale is a familiar one to audiences in the form of the 1987 film starring Robin Wright, Cary Elwes and many, many more. The story is timeless, as charming in 2009 as it was in 1973 when it was published, in 1982 when I read it for the first time and 1987 when I saw it in the theater for the first time.

Introducing another generation to the film elicited all the right reactions, reactions that aligned with the grandson who was having the story read to him. Santa may very well be delivering a copy of this book because the daughter wants to have it read to her now, too. Goldman’s book is genius, a mixture of abridged storytelling and delightful fairytale. It has something for everyone: true love, swashbuckling, heroes overcoming the odds and dark villains with deep histories.

The story entered our pop culture and our language with fantastic quotes, phrases and exchanges. It is almost impossible to pick out one line and say it is the best, but I will say “Have fun storming the castle!” is a familiar phrase around here.

Enjoy these quotes cherry picked from the most recent viewing:

Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.

Grandpa: That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.

Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inigo Montoya: More pursue than study lately. You see, I cannot find him... it's been twenty years now and I'm starting to lose confidence. I just work for Vizzini to pay the bills. There's not a lot of money in revenge.

Count Rugen: Ah. Are you coming down into the pit? Wesley's got his strength back. I'm starting him on the machine tonight.
Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

Westley: There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

Do you have a favorite line?

5 comments:

  1. "AS YOU WISH"

    This one of my very, very favorite movies! I love the theme song as much as th movie. I haven't read the book, but I will! Everyone in the movie was spot on! The film gets better each time you see it because you realize how truly clever and droll it is!

    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."


    Miracle Max: See, there's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. Now, mostly dead: he's slightly alive. All dead: well, with all dead, there's usually only one thing that you can do.
    Inigo: What's that?
    Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

    My love is like a storybook story....

    gcwhiskas at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've enjoyed reading this post - in fact I've read most of it out to my husband who recognized the lines immediately too. Strange how some films/lines are so immediately recognizable.

    I love the scene where Fezzik is rhyming (they're on the boat taking Buttercup to Gilder)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I agree - the Fezzik/Inigo rhymes are the best.

    And who can forget Peter Cook officiating the wedding ceremony? Not I!

    I also like Buttercup's dreams. "BOOOO! BOOOOOO! Bow to her, bow to the Queen of SLIME! The Queen of REFUSE! BOOOO!" xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years after watching the movie (over and over and over again) Anytime anyone (even their dad) would say "I Mean It!" one of my boys would pop up with "anybody want a peanut?". Great. And when Carol Kane was yelling Liar at Billy Crystal (the doc).

    The wedding ceremony was wonderful as well as when Wesley threatened the Prince with "to the pain". I loved the whole movie, and the book also. I also read it in the early 80's, then when the movie came out in video we made sure we had it (wore it out).

    The Princess Bride is the whole families' favorite movie, and they are all adults now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I talked about this particular blog a lot yesterday, and yes, The Princess Bride is universal in its appeal -- everyone I spoke to had a favorite line!

    ReplyDelete