Thursday, November 12, 2009

Through Love Struck Glasses

I love to read romance to see the hero or the heroine through the love truck gaze of their partner. Romance. Passion. Sizzle. Smoking hot bods. Ripped abdominals. Gentle eyes. Hard jaws. The hot guys of romance all share one thing in common – they’re good-looking charmers who are ardent protectors of the ladies in their lives. Reading Shannon K. Butcher’s Love You to Death I am reminded of why I love to read romance – and it is not just for the hot guys, but they don’t hurt.

Eyes of Love

In Love You to Death, Elise is terrified for her sister Ashley. Ashley’s something of a flighty, artistic type that forgets her car is running or that her front door is open when the next shiny object comes along. But she always calls her sister, every day, she calls and touches base. When two days go by with no phone call, Elise flies halfway around the world to find her sister and check on her. She breaks into her house (with a key) and has to use a flashlight (a fuse is blown) and catches the attention of Ashley’s ex-cop neighbor Trent.

From the moment of their first encounter, struggling in the dark, we learn that Trent is hard-bodied and very tan. He’s damn good-looking, but Elise really isn’t paying that much attention other than to catalog him as the “hot lawn guy” her sister mentioned. She is not looking at Trent with passion or sizzle, she’s looking at him with suspicion despite his obvious genetic good fortune.

When Trent proves that he wants to help and becomes a rock of support for Elise in her search, she begins to see him in a new light – the light muted by love-struck glasses. He’s still good-looking, he’s still ripped and he’s still a fine specimen, but now he’s attractive and handsome and safe and protective and all the things that make a woman’s stomach flutter with a thousand butterflies of anticipation..

That’s what love-struck glasses do.

Romance by the Heart Light

A few days ago, I was reading a friend’s guest blog. She was talking about the different aspects of romance, but at the end she mentioned her husband – the love of her life, the father of her children and how he is in every hero she writes. It made me think about my own husband and yeah, he is the romantic hero in my life. He is not perfect, but I love him and when I see him, I see all those fantastic qualities we see in the heroes in the novels.

He does not have to leap tall buildings, he does not have to solve crimes and he does not have to have a paranormal ability. He just has to be him. That is enough for this love-struck woman’s heart to vault into a double-tuck and stick the landing, every time.

Check out Love You to Death

I love Shannon’s books in general, but check out Love You to Death for the suspense, the hunt and the love-struck romance. Just the right amount of sizzle with a dash of fancy!

---
Be sure to stop by Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings today and check out my guest blog: Never Judge a Witch by Her Leather.

3 comments:

  1. I have this book on my shelf waiting to be read - I'll have to move it up in the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is soooooo worth the reading. I couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anythign by this author. Guess I'll have to check this book out, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete