Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Potent Quotables


As part of an exercise for the Muse Therapy workshop I am participating in (Hey D.D.!), I wanted to share some of the inspirational quotes that give me that kick in the pants whenever I am feeling down on life, writing or just the experience of getting published. You'll recognize the source of most of these quotes. Most of these are the product of late nights at the computer when I get punchy and need to motivate myself to get one more page, another couple of hundred words or to finish a scene that won't end.

I freely admit that I am something of a geek. I pull my quotes from all sources. Sources that make me laugh. Sources that make me cry. Sources that engage me. Sometimes I change them, sometimes I don't. What works for me is that the quote gives me the right kick in the pants when I need it. In the meanwhile, hats off to the Muse Therapy workshop by D.D. Scott who guest blogged for the Daily Dose a couple of months ago. If you're curious, be sure to check it out.

Potent Quotes and More


  • Fiction, the final frontier; these are the voyages of the Authorship of Heather Long, her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new possibilities and to boldly go where only the imagination has gone before.

  • Write long and prosper.

  • Write or write not. There is no try.

  • It's never safe in the car!

  • When I die, I'm leaving the body of my work to science fiction.

  • Everybody lies. Writers lie well.

  • I write you.

  • I find your lack of word count disturbing.

  • When you can't do something smart, do something write.

  • If we write by the book, hours can be days.

  • Once upon a time. That's how it starts. Then comes the screaming and the running.

  • Do you want to tell me what you're writing or would you like to break some more furniture?

  • Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind.


These are just a few of my favorite potent quotes and quotables that I keep tacked up around the room. They are good for a laugh, a smile, a momentary inspiration and for keeping me on track when I wonder why I bother – those are the days when writing is tough, the kiddo is interrupting, the phone doesn't stop ringing and the need to pay the bills of the many outweigh the creative needs of the few or the one.

Do you have a favorite quote you rely on to get you out of a funk and to kickstart your creative gears as it were?

Oh and if you can name the sources of all these quotes – I might give you a prize!


5 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, Heather!

    Here's one to add to your collection...

    "Creativity -- not time -- best heals creative wounds." -- Blake Edwards

    I'm thrilled to have been a guest on Daily Dose and sooo stoked that you're enjoying my Muse Therapy Class!

    Sexy Sassy Smart Muse Therapy & Potent Quotable Wishes --- D. D. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just me again...not sure why it says my profile isn't available...of course I want to "be available"...LOL!

    Sexy Sassy Smart "Be Available" Wishes --- D. D. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend at work offered me a few more that I'll have to print out when I get home including:

    Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a rewrite!

    Write long and publish!

    Show me the pages!

    Where's the beefcake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well personally I have two (no writing references - I'll have to work on that!)

    Never Retreat. Never Surrender

    Rest not! Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
    Katherine Graham

    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou

    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete