Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Heart-to-Heart: Barbara Hancock

As our Heart-to-Heart with the 28 Days of the Heart authors continues this month, we welcome Barbara Hancock. One of the best parts of this tour has been getting to know some really terrific authors, every one of these ladies has offered some insightful glimpses into the mind of the writer while tantalizing readers with their tales.

Barbara Hancock

With A Shadow's Kiss I decided to lean a little gothic and I enjoyed every minute of it! There's just something about a dark and dangerous hero, a mysterious haunted abbey surrounded by the chilly moors of Northern England and a doomed heroine who is in great danger, but won't give up on her hope of one day being free to walk in the sun.

Before I was born, I lost my grandmother to a heart attack. I've seen my mother battle with her own heart problems my whole life. It was only natural for me to want to participate in the 28 Days of Heart. Being able to do what I love and at the same time champion a worthy cause like The American Heart Association is gratifying to the extreme.

Describe a moment that really tugged at your heart.

Welcoming my husband back from the war in Iraq was the most amazing experience of my life. There's no measuring the joy and excitement we all felt that day. In "A Shadow's Kiss", I drew on that experience when I created Malcolm Hayes, a man who is just beginning to learn to live his normal life after war when a vampire attack leaves him changed in a profound and deadly way. But, like my husband, Malcolm is a hero who isn't about to give up without a fight.

What type of movies make you cry? When was the last time you cried in a movie?

Emotional movies make me cry, but it doesn't have to be the emotion of sadness. Avatar made me bawl like a baby...even in the most exhilarating parts...because it was just so moving and beautiful. Any movie that fills my heart is bound to make tears leak--or pour--from my eyes!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your stories?

When I began writing I was surprised by the depth of emotion and the darkness that would come out of me onto the page. I have a friend who calls what I write "the hardest edged sweet romance I've ever read". As the daughter of alcoholic, I carry dark memories in my heart, but as the happy wife of a real-life hero, I also carry happily ever after there as well. I pair the two emotions when I write and apparently it works!

What do you enjoy reading? Can you name your five favorite authors?

I read a little bit of everything. I love hot romance, cold chills, larger-than-life heroes, kick-ass heroines and humor. On my keeper shelf and stored on my Kindle, you'll find Kresley Cole, Dean R. Koontz, Johanna Lindsay, Laurell K. Hamiltion and Jane Austen...among many, many others. It hurts me to list only five!

Reading romance reduces stress and can help relax you from your worries. Do you feel that writing romance helps you cope with your own worries and stress?

Absolutely! I am a much happier person now that I've given myself permission to embrace this impractical, crazy career. For one thing, I'm borderline obsessive compulsive. It's good for me to have words to worry with because it keeps me too busy to worry about things I can't control!


Bio
As the daughter of an alcoholic, Barbara learned at a young age to turn to fictional worlds for escape. She especially loved fantasy, romance and science fiction. When she decided to write, it was natural that she should combine her early loves. Barbara has a special affinity for characters who live in the shadows but refuse to be defined by the darkness that surrounds them. She loves exploring deep emotions, bringing impossible happily ever afters to life on the page… and Glacier Mint ice cream. If you'd like to learn more about Barbara and her books, you can visit her at her website.

Blurb
Can their love overcome a legacy of evil…

Anna Benecia can't escape her destiny. A promise signed in blood binds a Shadow for eternity even if the one bound longs to live in the sunny here and now.

Malcolm Hayes is the new host for the hunger of an evil spirit who has walked the earth for a thousand years. The Darkhaven shade must have the blood of innocents fed upon by the vampires he creates and controls in order to remain manifest. Freshly possessed and cursed to burn with a hunger only his Shadow bride can slake, Malcolm is determined to fight.

Can a young woman destined to marry into darkness bring the light of hope to a man newly cursed to walk the night?


Book Trailer





4 comments:

  1. It's so nice to be featured on the Daily Dose today, Heather. Thank you for having me and for asking such great questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview Barbara! So glad the darkness within can bring so much joy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and wonderful trailer. I think the 28 Days of Heart is fantastic. Thank you for writing for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always a wonderful interview, Barbara. The 28 Days of Heart is a fantastic way to bring to light the truth of heart health issues women face and how we must all step up and take a look at. Thank you for writing this wonderful story. :)

    ReplyDelete