Friday, February 19, 2010

Heart-to-Heart: Leigh Ellwood

We're winding down our 28 Days of the Heart here at the Daily Dose and if you missed any of our earlier Heart-to-Hearts, I encourage you to check those blogs out. I've been privileged to host some of the best authors I've read. So don't miss out! Today, we welcome Leigh Ellwood. You'll enjoy her, I did!

Leigh Ellwood

Hello, and thank you for having me here today. I am Leigh Ellwood, author of erotica, romance, and mystery, and I am happy to be a guest promoting my title with the ARe 28 Days of Heart. My short, GPS, is a m/m romantic comedy with a touch of the fantastic. What's it about? Well, let me tell you!

GPS
When Cale Durbin receives a GPS system for his birthday, he tests it out on the drive to meet a blind date. The blasted device gets him lost, but Cale doesn't mind so much when he ends up at the door of a hunk named Mike who shares many of his interests.

After the date fails, Cale discovers the GPS possesses a unique feature—it leads him right to Mike again! Can true happiness be found through a global positioning device, or is Cale headed in the wrong direction?

GPS is out February 21. Pick it up and help heart awareness.

Heart-to-Heart
Now for my amazing interview answers, which I hope will give you some insight into my strange little mind.

What type of movies make you cry? When was the last time you cried in a movie?
I believe I am a born bawler - where movies are concerned I'll cry at the drop of a hat. Particularly if the movie has a truly heart-tugging ending, like in The Color Purple, I'm bawling. I think the last time I cried at the movies, however, was the last Lord of the Rings film right at the ending. I won't give it away if you haven't seen it yet.

If could live in any century previous to the 20th, what century would it be and why?
I've always been fascinated by the British monarchy, so I'd probably choose Tudor England or the Victorian era, perhaps the latter to really get a feel for the time "steampunk" stories are set. I have a feeling, given the rough religious climate of the Tudor days, I wouldn't last long there. ;-)

Share a little about why you chose to participate in 28 Days of the Heart.
I am somewhat a charitable soul. As executive editor of Phaze Books, I greenlighted a number of charity anthologies for publication, and I have supported various charities for breast cancer research and homelessness. The AHA campaign of 28 Days struck me because heart disease runs in my family. I lost both grandfathers to heart attacks, and my father's line has a history of the men dying young because of heart problems. In writing GPS, I feel I'm doing my part to help.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your stories?
It surprises me to learn how weird of a sense of humor I actually have! People have remarked on it before, but sometimes I'll go back and read some of my work and think, "Where did I get THAT?"

Are your characters inspired by real people or events?

Sometimes.

The stories in my Dareville series have their roots in various true events, and I find people I admire from afar tend to inspire characters and dialogue. Often, too, I get ideas from what I record in my dream journal. The mind is an incredible tool.

What do you enjoy reading? Can you name your five favorite authors?
Believe it or not, I'm a mystery lover. I have roots in mystery, and I'm working on a new one. I love love love Dick Francis, read just about everything he's done; also, Carl Hiaasen and James Ellroy for their dark humor, Agatha Christie for the classics, and Sue Grafton.


Discover more about the fantastic Leigh Ellwood via her website. You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment