Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kenzie Ryan on Spring Break...

Angelo and I were talking about the spring breakers who migrate to the Florida Keys this time of year. At first we were jealous of all the fun they seem to have rumbling down US #1 on their motorcycles or whizzing by in their jam-packed cars. They’re squeezing a load of adventure into a short time period. But then it hit us. We don’t have to rush off anywhere for spring break.
Why would we?

We have beaches. We have sun. We have fun--all year. And this week we have more time for it. YAY!! We can hop in Angelo’s boat, cruise the islands and fish, snorkel, or dive. We can windsurf, kayak, sail, and play with the wildlife. (Though honestly, we don’t usually get in the water in March because we think it’s too cold.) To us spring vacation probably seems longer than it does to those traveling, frantic breakers because we don’t have to spend hours or days on the road. It’s a lot less expensive, too.
And you know what?
If we really want to travel to a foreign locale, we can take a day trip to the Dry Tortugas by boat, or sail to the backcountry and spend a day on a remote, uninhabited island. Or if we feel the need for a crazy escape, we can always drive north to Miami Beach for an exotic, urban wildlife experience. Heck, we have time to do all those things over our break!
So, thanks, spring break visitors. Thanks for the reminder. We’ll try not to gloat when we wave.
Discover intrigue, treachery and intrepid teens with Bonnie J. Doerr and the Island Sting.


18 comments:

  1. I always wondered how folks who lived in hot vacation spots year round felt. I mean the closest I am is the Jersey Shore and well that's nothing to gloat about (especially thanks to that evil evil show).

    I've always been jealous as well ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really cute book! Made me want to go down to the keys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound wonderful to live down in the Keys, but then I recall how much I hate hot weather...I think I will stay in Wisconsin. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE the cold! I'd give anything to be among the 1000's that head for the Keys this time of year!

    Thanks!
    Kate aka YzhaBella
    http://www.yzhabellasbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be awesome to be in a permanent vacation spot! Well, I imagine even the Florida Keys loses its charm after awhile. Who knows? I need to have a change of season, so I like VA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to live in the Bahamas, where winter doesn't exist

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, now that sounds like the life! I love the idea of waving at spring breakers who are rushing past because you're already living it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really don't like hot weather I'm use to it in Texas I much prefer a winter vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd choose winter over summer any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous %) I want to live somewhere warm where I don't feel like a grouchy bear hibernating all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I would love to go to the keys.... I think the same about not needing to go anywhere nice/hot/sunny for spring break but for a different reason... you can go anywhere you want...by reading a book! I've been all over the world and beyond reading stories :) My grandma used to say that to me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I lived in Florida. The weather is getting nice here, but it'd be awesome to be so close to Disney and the ocean and Disneyyy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. My ex use to live in the keys and he said it was CRAZY during spring break! That would be annoying. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love in Texas... spent most of my school years in the Houston area... there was plenty to do and we usually went to Astroworld at least once over the break... it seemed normal then but I guess people traveled to Houston spring break to go theree....

    ReplyDelete
  15. *resists the urge to glare* Am I jealous? No... no... of course I'm not, I... oh fine, I am jealous! Fancy having me stay over at your house for Spring break? I do my own cooking and I'll even let you wash my clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Keys sound wonderful but I'd just want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Keys sound great. I would love to live near the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete