Sunday, March 14, 2010

Let the Spring Shine In

Spring -- a time when the earth begins to thaw, when snow turns to rain, when the Easter Bunny leaves lots of yummy jelly beans in brightly colored baskets -- is one of my favorite seasons. But probably not for those reasons.

Sure, those are all good things. Great things, even. But the reason Spring is so utterly fabulous is that she's the life of the party. If Spring were a person, she'd be captivating, fetching, darling.

She'd bring lots of goodies to the table, not like Fall who'd fill up the buffet table with Grandma's recipes. Spring would bring tidbits and punch. Figs and olives. Blood oranges and kumquats. Powdered sugar covered lime tarts. Spring would play loud music, but it would exceptional music and totally danceable.

Because for me Spring embodies the pure joy of jumping off a cliff -- not to your death, but to adventure.

Spring is the time when you leave that heavy winter coat behind and immerse yourself completely in whatever it is you love.

For me, that's writing and stories.

And so I try to take a bit of Spring with me into my work.

In order to be a good writer I believe you have to dive head first into your story. You have to taste the kumquats at the party, quench your thirst with your main character's latte, and let the blood oranges dribble down your chin.

You have to believe in your characters.

You have to live in the town where they live, whether it's an enchanted forest or an apartment in New York City. You have to cry for your characters because you've given them so much emotion you can't help yourself.

So abandon yourself over to Spring. Invite her to your heart. I'm pretty sure she'll liven up the place. (And if you don't recognize her look for the girl wearing the cutest little cocktail dress and the most adorable shoes.)

Author Michele Corriel's Fairview Felines: A Newspaper Mystery will be released from Blooming Tree/Tire Swing Press in July 2010. Learn more about Michele at her website.

All the cats in Fairview disappeared and only Thomas Weston, newspaperman extraordinaire (and eighth grader) can find them. All the while Thomas battles the never-ending hysterical headlines that pop up in his head!

What is your favorite 'rite' of spring?



22 comments:

  1. The first spring shower. I always take that as a sign that I need to forget things that were bothering me or let start something new. This year I decided to take up martial arts as my Spring Shower Promise (and hey it was raining buckets in NJ...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Lexie on the first spring shower, it's very cleansing and just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the baby flowers that start budding and the squirrels that scurry in my garden. Thats when I know Spring has officially sprung.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I want to say I love how you described not only spring but also incorporated it into writing. =)

    As for my favorite 'rite' I think it would be finally being able to take long walks with my dog when the weather is nice and the sun is out. Sure, we walk in the winter but it's more, I have to take him rather than hey kid, it's nice out, let's go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those first green leaves as they pop out - almost overnight - on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post, I really enjoyed reading and immersing myself in your vision of Spring :) You actually gave me an idea for a book so thank you for sparking that!

    I love the flowers, the hazy scents in the air and beautiful array of colours on the horizon! I also love it when the sun shines as it did today. It makes everyone smile and generally be in a better mood :)

    www.narrativelyspeaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when I see the first robin! We all challenge each other at my house to see who can see the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when I start waking up in the morning or it is mid-afternoon and you can hear the birds chirping and you know it's springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rain. I love love love the rain. So inevitably I make sure I'm out in some of the first rains. I'm glad we're having such an early spring so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love just going out side and experiencing the sun after a long winter.
    Nothing like a good sun bathing out side to make you feel alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite part of Spring is when all of the flowers evolve from little buds to full blown beauties. I love watching the progression.
    Margay

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that, 'you have to abandon yourself to your characters, you have to live where they live.' Very sage advice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite 'rite' of spring is the first warm evening when you can talk a long walk, with a snuggly sweater and smell the blooming flowers in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Watching the ducks and birds come back! I love watching all the commotion when ten ducks at once drop into our backyard moat/pond.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first time you can go outside without a jacket. It's still cold, but not so much that you're freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The plants coming back to life! Although as I get older and my allergies get worse that's not as appealing as it used to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the spring Thunderstorms. The rumble of thunder says that winter is on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so happy to see many of my flowers coming up already. I was starting to get a little anxious for them to come...I was dreaming about flowers for awhile there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it me or is the first thing I think of when I hear spring it Jelly Beans, peeps and yummy sweet candy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a well written post! Not only have you made me lusting for Spring now, but also gotten me in a writing mood.

    I absolutely love Spring. What I first love to see - and what really makes it 'feel' like Spring is upon us, is everything started to turn green. When all that lives blossoms, it's a beautiful sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For me, it is when the flowers start to bloom and the lawn gets green again.

    ReplyDelete