Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Of All the Spring Break Stories

My most recent memorable spring break was two years ago when I went to visit my friend in Greece. Although I generally enjoy exploring new places on my own, having a local show you the sites can't be beat (especially since my Greek consisted of the bare minimum phrases and the inability to remember that “neh” meant yes instead of no). We went to many beautiful places in the northern and central part of the country which consisted of beautiful (but cold) beaches, roaring waterfalls, and inaccessible mountains with monasteries built on top.

Gorgeous.

One of the best things I loved about Greece was the food and the hospitality that came with it. Every meal is like a banquet. A couple dishes come out and you serve yourself thinking, that looks good. Then more and more plates come out until the whole table is groaning under the weight of easily 10 different dishes, all of which look delicious.

I tried to tell my friend that his mother didn't need to go through so much effort on my behalf but he said not to flatter myself; they always had all that food on the table. I'm sure I gained several pounds just being there a few days, but that didn't matter. It was worth it and besides, wasn't bikini season.

Not that I didn't try to get in the water. After spending a few days with my friend in the northern part of the country, I went down to Athens on my own. After doing the touristy Parthenon, I did head to the coast in an attempt to go swimming in March. Had someone else been there to feed my crazy/daring streak, I would have gotten in the water, but being alone, I did nothing more than stick my white feet in. However, the good part of that is that it left me with a desire to visit the beautiful country again sometime when it's warmer. I also know that I will need to pack a bikini a size too big, just so that I don't miss out on all that Greece has to offer!

Alexandria Diaz's Of All the Stupid Things is available now. Keep up with Alexandria at her website



16 comments:

  1. Wow! Greece, how awesome. It makes me nervous to travel to other countries because of the language barriers. Some people have told me it's not so bad, but who knows? I will just have to jump on a plane and find out. Happy Spring Break everyone! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fantastic trip Alexandra! I'm all about the food!
    I loved your book so .....go get it people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to visit Greece, well to be truthful there's a number of places I want to visit, but Greece has always been at the top of the list. Blame it on a romance I read years ago that made it sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greece sounds amazing!! I envy you such a good time. When I was in college I went to Cyprus. It was nice, but hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had such an amazing and memorable trip to Greece! I'd be lying if I didn't say I was completely envious of you ;) I have Greek relatives on my grandfathers side, so not only would I love to visit there someday to meet some of them but also to bask in the beautiful environment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last time I went out of the country I visited Costa Rica. I'd love to go to Greece. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greece sounds amazing! I'd love to visit it someday. Thanks for sharing that experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Greek food! And really want to visit Athens and Rhodes. I did go to Greece as a kid, visited Kos and Kardamena. I loved it. Thanks for a nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Food and Books sound heavenly.

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to visit Greece some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's awesome! Greece is definitely on my future destinations list and yes, I bet it is even more amazing to have a local show you around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know some people who went to Greece and thought they'd pack on pounds because they were constantly eating, but turns out they lost weight because the food they were eating wasn't as processed and apparently the Mediterranean diet is really good for you!

    Yay for foreign spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always wanted to go to Greece. I am jealous. I was going to go in high school, they gave us two picks Greece or the Dominican Republic. I heard that Lamb is a big food staple in Greece so I picked DR for that reason oh and part of my family history being in DR. I wish I picked greece. I could go to DR anytime. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I wish I could go to greece I always wanted to travel to a island.
    The author sounds like she had a good time

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your trip to Greece sounds wonderful. Would love to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greece is a "Someday" destination for my husband and I. We have heard and seen some many beautiful reviews about it that it is a definite must! Mostly for me? I can't wait to try the food! lol

    Kate Leger aka YzhaBella
    mleger0546 (@) rogers (dot) com

    ReplyDelete