Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Break = Breaking out the Books?

Spring break is for fun in the sun, laying on the beach and … getting to all the books you’ve been dying to start but can’t because of all the books you have to read for school. I am currently finishing my master’s in creative writing and so school is not just fresh in my memory, it’s what I’m doing right now.

The last three years, spring break = time to break out the YA novels. This year, there are so many books I want to read by our Class of 2k10, all of whom are releasing their debut novels, from The Tension of Oppositesto The Secret Year to Three Rivers Rising.

My taste for books keeps on changing. Once I was addicted to fantasy novels, before that to fiction for adults, before that plays etc, etc. And, I would write in the genre I loved the most.

I’ve been addicted to YA for nearly a decade now. In addition to the coming of age story, the voice-y-ness (I’m inventing words), and the immediacy, I enjoy it for its variety of vision, from paranormal to fantasy to contemporary realism (which is my personal favorite). So it is no wonder that I’m writing YA now and Split falls into the last category.

Split is narrated by 16-year old Jace Witherspoon who has just fled 1300 miles after finally hitting his dad back. He hasn’t seen his brother, Christian, in five years. But with nowhere else to go, $3.84 in his pocket, and bruises on his face and a secret, he shows up on Christian’s doorstep. Split was inspired by the three years I coordinated a domestic violence legal clinic, I learned a lot of lessons about survival and courage. I talk about that more here or on my website.

I’m on to my next novel now which means that I’m spending my spring break on both sides of the pen: gobbling down great, new fiction of all varieties and trying to type it out, too. I can’t think of a better way to spend my spring break.

What about you?



18 comments:

  1. When I get time off, I love to read and nothing else...it is the ultimate downtime for me. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read when I can. For my Spring Break, I am going home to be with my family and apply for jobs...Fun stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm usually working but I do have a week off coming up! I plan to clean and organise my flat with lots of reading to catch up on, thrown in for good measure! In an ideal world of course, I would be jetsetting around Europe (Barcelona or Italy maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read when I get home from school it relaxes me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't actually get a spring break since I work full time... but this weekend was definitely spent gobbling down books... Split included which I loved! =D Reading is a great way to pass the time... and calm my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in FL so this year everyone is coming here for their spring break - no time off for us but we will have be good hosts and do the FL/Disney thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spend most of my time reading anyhow--I always have a book with me no matter where I'm going (I've gotten chided by my friends for bringing one to movies if I grow too bored) and its always my first idea for relaxation time you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring break? What's spring break. I wish I could march into my store director's office and say, "Chad, babe. I am going on springbreak." He'd laugh me out of there so fast. So I will be working during spring break. lol fun and yay! *rolls eyes* But I will be squeezing writing in and reading. I always have 3 books going at any given time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Split sound fantastic, I'm very interested in reading! I'll be on the lookout for this one, for sure.

    I'm in Autumn at the moment and hardly on break... I'm about to start a new distance education course, so I'm trying to drum up some of that crazy stuff called self discipline (they don't sell it on ebay, do that??) and also in the middle of packing for a move interstate. Soo, I will be traveling. Is that counted as an Autumn break? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For spring break I'm hoping to get a ton of reading done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not going anywhere. I will just be home fixing up the house and cleaning. I already started on the windows and siding. It's not much of a break I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really powerful book, especially since it's drawn off your time in a domestic violence clinic. Wow.

    And spring break, what's that? Do people really get those? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hah, every day is spring break for me, being that I work super part time, and am waiting til summer to take my final college class and graduate! So yeah, I'm reading books every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read when I'm supposed to be doing other things... like work or school. So I got no reading done over my spring break...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im spending Spring Break in the sun and reading my pile of TBR's

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. During Spring Break, my best friend and I go book shopping and spend time talking about books. Your book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My ultimate Spring Break would be a few hundred dollars, a few hours in the bookstore and the entire rest of the week curled up by the fire with a cozy blanket and my brand new mountain of books!

    Kate Leger aka YzhaBella
    mleger0546 (@) rogers (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What varied and incredible response! The Daily Dose had great readers! Read on, my lovelys, read on!

    ReplyDelete