Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break . . . Sprung Broken

My name is Tessa McMullen and I’m the main character in Kristina McBride’s new book, The Tension of Opposites. She roped me into this thing where I have to tell everyone my thoughts on Spring Break. Which is ironic, because I really don’t have any. See, I don’t do Spring Break. Not anymore.

Before Noelle went missing, Spring Break was always the best. It’s kind of pathetic, but you can just think of all the common clich├ęs: fun in the sun, flip flops, coconut sunscreen, bikinis, lying out in the backyard and singing our favorite songs so loudly we’d drive Coop, Noelle’s little brother, totally insane. Add in the latest fashion magazines, trying new things with our hair, plus a touch of shopping, and you have some of the best weeks of my life. But that was before Noelle was kidnapped. Since then, everything has changed.

Spring Break is just about the last thing on my mind. I can’t do it anymore. None of it. One little laugh seems like the worst betrayal because, even though I’d never say it out loud, I’ve been pretty sure that whoever took Noelle made it so she can never laugh again. And I know it might sound stupid, but for all this time I’ve thought that I might be keeping her alive. That if I can remember her well enough, refuse to live a life without her, maybe, just maybe, she’ll come back to us.

The crazy thing is that it worked.

After two years with her kidnapper,

Noelle is still alive.

And she’s coming home.

Okay, so maybe listening to our theme song religiously, refusing to date boys, and isolating myself from everything but my photography aren’t the magic things bringing her home. I’m aware that she’s done some pretty amazing stuff to survive two years with her kidnapper. As much as I’ve tried not to face it, I’m not ignorant. Most kidnapped kids don’t make it home alive.

But Noelle, she’s always been special, seemed to have a little spark of magic inside. And I can’t even tell you how glad I am that she’s coming home. Now everything can go back to normal. Because no matter what they’re saying about her on the news, Noelle will always be Noelle.

The Tension of Opposites, which will be released on May 25, 2010, is Kristina McBride’s debut young adult novel. Kristina is a member of the Class of 2K10. The Tension of Oppositess is available for pre-order now.



19 comments:

  1. Do you know what?! This book sounds really interesting and I'm definitely adding it to the TBR pile! Sad story though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am sold! Not that I wasn't before, because I read an amazing review for The Tension of the Opposites and thought "I desperately need this book!". But reading this post has made me even more eager to read now. Man 2010 is going to be a dreadfully money draining year due to the amount of amazing books released!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I hadn't already wanted to read this book, I would have after this blog post. Though I admit whenever I see the synopsis for it all I can think of is "What if that was my sister?" and then I have to rush to call her and make sure she is okay still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on reading & reviewing every book from the class of 2k10 bt I'm really looking forward to reading this one! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds exiting and intensive sounds like a great mystery book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I simply cannot wait for your book to be released! It looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This book sounds amazing. Adding to the huge TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds great! I am so glad I finally got to read what the plot of the story is because it has been popping up everywhere in the blogosphere. Can't wait to read it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this sounds absolutely haunting! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have all made my day! Thanks so much for your uplifting comments. I hope you enjoy the read. And, just so you know, Tessa does meet a pretty cute guy right after she learns Noelle is coming home. So it's not all dark and dreary - there's a little romance to spice things up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, there you go you got me hooked. I just added it to my TBR list on Goodreads. Glad to hear there will be some romance. I can't live without a little romance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read the Tension of Opposites! I'm next in line for it on an ARC tour, and I simply cannot wait!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I just found out about ToO the other day, and am now uber excited.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been so eager for this book since I first saw it a few months ago... it looks fantastic! And this little bit has only made that little craving stronger. Darn you, but thank you =P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, just wow. This book sounds amazing. I just went to amazon to stake my claim on it! These spring break post have got me so psyched about these books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard Greece is amazingly beautiful. If I went there I would probably starve to death because I am extremely picky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your book sounds great. :)

    Crystal816[at]hotmail[dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many thanks for another great book to add to my TBR Pile! Sounds wonderful!

    Kate Leger aka YzhaBella
    mleger0546 (@) rogers (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cannot wait to read this cool book.

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete