Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring Break: When I was a Teen ...

When I was a teen, spring break would have found me…reading. Well, okay, just about any time of the year would have found me reading. As a little kid I was the one under the blanket with the flashlight – and the Nancy Drew, or the Narnia books, or just about anything I could get my hands on.

So I have a “true confession” about my obsessive reading. A story that lives on in our family just to amuse everyone else and embarrass me.

I was about 14, and it was spring break – and I remember that it was spring break because we had chocolate bunnies on the counter. I was home and (yes) reading, and my mom, who was a great cook and worked hard to make good healthy meals, asked me to watch a pot on the stove while she took a well-earned break in the other room.

In the pot were green beans, and they were supposed to boil for ten minutes (or something, which I can’t remember because I was reading after all.) So, sure! I told her I’d watch the beans and turn off the stove after ten minutes.

Remember – I was sitting right there, next to the stove. Reading.

The next thing I knew, the kitchen was filled with smoke, and my mother was yelling and flapping her arms, and my mother never yelled or flapped. The water in the pot had boiled off and the pot had melted onto the stove. I never noticed, because I was... My mom, when she quieted down, banned me from the kitchen from then on.

I would bet that Maggie, my character in FAITHFUL, would initially have a similar kitchen problem because when the novel starts she’s pretty helpless about taking care of things domestic. Someone would have cooked for her, and she wouldn’t have a clue how to manage. By the end of the novel, I like to think she could handle just about anything.

So – do you prefer to cook, or to read? Or both?

Excerpt from Faithful
"I could not escape the question of what would become of me. In one direction my future was wide open. A great gaping hole waited there with nothing to hold me up. I imagined I was standing at my window at home, right at the sill, or on the cliff facing the sea. What would it be like to leap, to let go and fall?"

Keep up with author Janet Fox via her website. Her novel Faithful will be released May 13, 2010.



21 comments:

  1. Personally, I perfer to read. My problem with cooking is that you have to clean up after...and I am a bad cleaner. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate cooking so you will never find me cooking the best thing I could cook is anything microwavable. I love baking cookies cakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I can't stand to cook! Too much work! I'd rather snuggle up with a great read, any day!

    Thanks!
    Kate aka YzhaBella
    http://www.yzhabellasbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read. I can't cook. The last time I tried to make scrambled eggs, I almost burned down the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guilty of walking around the kitchen with my book in my hands! I have to use a timer so I don't end up like you that day with the green beans! LOVE the exerpt from FAITHFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely read! I'm not much of a cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, sounds like something I would do... I'd definitely say reading, because I don't have much skill in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer reading, but since I'm the only girl in the house I tend to do all the cooking. My dad, brother and Uncle think that frozen pizza is jazzy for every single night of the week. I'm not on that boat.

    That being said I tend to only do simple recipes but I've been trying harder lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another for the 'love to rad & hate to cook' gang.. I do however make an exception for desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. umm, I've actually done something similar to this but not quite as bad! I just get so engrossed in reading my book that I forget about the dinner...thus the gravy becomes lumpy, the potatoes become overdone...you get the picture! I DEFINITELY prefer to read! (I think this much is obvious now)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely love to read, but am making peace with cooking, it makes me feel good to know something I made came out to be pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading is definitely number one! I like to cook, but hate doing the dishes afterwards! I love to bake. I have a big sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I had no idea I was in such good company! Maybe heavy readers make iffy cooks?

    At any rate, I married the cook, which is move I strongly recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer to do both. I love book too much.

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer reading. I just feel like so much work has to be put in to make a meal, then it's devoured in like 5 minutes. It just doesn't make sense to me. Now with a book you can treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I use to run a kitchen at a restuarant and all the cooking that came with it... I rarely cook at home. Mostly, I hate the whole clean up afterwards part. I'll stick with reading...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cover for Faithful is completely beautiful. *runs to put in request for Library to order book*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to cook and read. I always listen to audio books while I cook and then while I am waiting I read an actual book. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL oh my, thank goodness your kitchen catastrophe didn't turn burn anything down (apart from that poor, defenseless melted pot). But really, asking your daughter to keep an eye on the cooking while she's far away in a book??

    I love to do both. I do prefer reading more because well.... look how many amazing books are out there. But I also love cooking and I'm actually not *that* bad at it.

    I love the excerpt from your book! It is so on my wishlist now :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love cooking and reading both - but if I could only choose one, reading would win.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like to read and to cook. My first choice would be reading though.

    ReplyDelete