Wednesday, July 21, 2010

SciFi Summer TV is Here

I have to say that the trend to provide original programming on summer television is one that I heartily appreciate. While I think I watch too much TV from time to time, I also watch many recorded shows when I am working out. So it is great to have something new and fresh to hold my attention while I'm on the treadmill (if I'm not on the bike at the gym, reading a book).  Either way, summer TV is here to stay!  Here are few of my favorite picks for things you "should" be watching if you're not.

Let's look at the SyFy Channel first (sorry, I still hate the change from SciFi)

Eureka: Season 3.5
Visit America's zaniest small town!
Eureka

Eureka debuted four years ago with the arrival Jack Carter to the scientifically advanced (and more than a little crazy) town of Eureka where the most advanced minds come up with everything from great scientific achievement to some of the funniest foobars (turning your bowling competitors green comes to mind).  Despite the "weird" and often "zany" science, it's the people in Eureka that make the show one you have to watch from Jack to his daughter Zoe to Allison, her son Kevin to Nathan Stark to Deputy Jo, Henry Deacon (I adore Henry) and even Fargo.   Eureka doesn't shy away from the dramatic and the heart wrenching (the death of Kim, Nathan and even the loss of Jack's future with Allison are just a few that come to mind).

So when season four debuted a couple of weeks ago, I was ready for anything and I have to say, the writers not only delivered, they delivered in spades.  Thanks to Kevin's tinkering with an old device, Jack, Allison, Jo, Fargo and Henry found themselves transported to Eureka circa 1947 when it was just a military encampment. Desperate to get home, they had to find a way to "reverse" the bridge before their window of opportunity closed.  While they were able to back, they brought along time-traveling hitchhiker Dr. Grant – a man who belonged in Eureka's past and his presence in the future has irrevocably altered the microcosm of the town.

Most heartbreaking moment: Jo rushes to accept Zane's proposal only to find out in the new future, she and Zane are not together and he never proposed.


Warehouse 13
Warehouse 13: Season One
It's bigger on the inside!
 
Warehouse 13 is yet another action adventure dramedy that takes involves two agents: Myka and Pete who are shanghaied by Warehouse supervisor Artie to help him track down troublesome artifacts. The Warehouse itself is home to some of the crazier man made and beyond objects of all time, each catalogued, stored and hopefully neutralized although the characters have as many adventures in the Warehouse as they do out of it.
Season one introduced us to the great cast of characters including CCH Pounder's incomparable Mrs. Fredericks and the wonderful rascal that is Claudia.  Claudia has a long history with Artie whom she blamed for the loss of her brother for so many years.  But now Claudia is part of the fold and she is unquestionably Artie's favorite as the two bicker constantly, but he is a great father figure to her.  With enemies from within and without, the team needs to rely on each other as much as possible.  Season two debuted with more Warehouse secrets coming to light including the release of H.G. Wells (who turned out to be a woman) and now the operatives have to not only find her, they have to figure out what her brilliant, if twisted scientific mind is up to.

While the series is delightfully tongue in cheek, it's again the characters that you root for in a family dynamic that has you cheering them on. 

By the way, if you missed it – Eureka and Warehouse 13 will have a couple of crossover episodes this summer with Claudia heading to Eureka and Fargo in the Warehouse.  Can you say disaster? I thought you could.


Are you watching these fun shows?

2 comments:

  1. I tried Warehouse 13 but it wasn't for me.... I do think Eureka looks fun, but haven't noticed it on my tele. Maybe it's not playing in Canada yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both shows and watch them regularly sometimes twice (with rewind). I too hate the new syfy name.

    ReplyDelete