Sunday, August 15, 2010

Saturday Smackdown: The Action Hero

My husband and I headed out for one of those rare date evenings and saw the new Sylvester Stallone film: The Expendables. We've been seeing previews about this flick for weeks and considering the cast Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Jason Stathem, Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts and a couple of guest appearances by Bruce Willis and the Governor himself, it has been on our must see list for all of that time. Not sure what The Expendables is? Check out this preview and then scroll on down for more.



Can I just say damn?



As films go, The Expendables was 100% cheesetastic and exactly what the doctor ordered for late summer popcorn fun. My only real quibble with the flick was the camera angles, I was tired of being right in their faces all the time, but that's okay. For those of you wondering, this is a pretty gory action film without a lot of subtly -- there are several scenes of people having their heads blown off or their bodies blown in too. So there's my community service warning for now.

After the film was over, however, my husband and I launched into a debate about action heroes. Many of our modern films lack the brute force that made films like Rambo, Die Hard, The Terminator and even the Lethal Weapon films so damn popular. These are films about the alpha male -- so alpha that most of the time even when they get the girl, it's really secondary to the plot (look at Riggs in Lethal Weapon, they had to find a woman as kick ass as Rene Russo to pair with him).

But what makes the action hero so damn appealing? I'm going to share with you a glimpse into the mind of The Expendables, because the answer is right there in the midst of the film during a subplot with Jason Stathem. 


(Warning this is a small spoiler

His character (charmingly named Christmas) goes to see his girlfriend, only after his month away, she wasn't even sure they were dating and even though he's downright sweet, she has another guy there. It's a kick in the crotch for Stathem's character. Later in the film, he goes back and sees the ex-girlfriend with a black eye.

He doesn't bluster. He doesn't blubber. He doesn't blow-up. He just asks where is the new boyfriend? They go to find him and with cold, hard precision he delivers an ass-whupping that this guy is not going to forget (nor will the several broken bones he delivers to his buddies). When it's over, he looks at the ex-girlfriend and tells her she should have waited.

He was worth it.

HOT DAMN.

That is what the appeal of the action hero is about. It's the hard-hitting passionate drive. It's the go-go atmosphere and it's the damn well capable of doing what needs to be done.

For today's smackdown, I want you to choose you favorite action hero and tell me why he's the one for you. All comments will be entered to win a $10 gift card to Starbuck's or Amazon -- winner's choice.

So tell me -- who is your action hero hottie and why?

4 comments:

  1. It is no secret my favorite action hero is Jason Statham. He doesn't like the paparazzi and certainly doesn't court them like the other guys in Hollywood who become posers and whores to People Magazine and other rags. He can be soft spoken and has a make-your-heart-flutter smile but he oozes testosterone.
    When it comes to action, he's all alpha, all the time. He makes my ovaries flutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhhh Jason Statham- I sooo have the hots for that guy! The bod, the accent, and he was my favorite from the first Transporter. The fixer. The guy that just uses his training to do a
    job, get by, totally Alpha! But then he can't turn his
    back on an innocent person in need.... The expendables
    is our next date night too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohh, I've been wondering if this film was worth the money. We've got some free movie tickets, and now I know what to take the DH too. I LOVE these type of flicks as long as the plot is strong. Besides, I'm a a sucker for Stallone, Willis, and Li...Statham, not seen too much of. Thanks for the movie review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really sure about this movie. I don't think I'll see it. Action flicks bore me to tears.

    ReplyDelete