Monday, November 1, 2010

Kismet or a Great Ending to a Crappy Day

I’m sorting through three heroes and three heroines bouncing between three stories in my head. It’s more than a little exciting to have my brain working like a writer again. “Lovin’ it!” actually.

A week ago, I was traveling in California and had an experience that I’ve always wanted. I met one of my heroes. Woo Hoo.

While writing .38 Caliber Cover-Up, I introduced a character who was very elusive to me. He didn’t have a name, didn’t have a face (in my head) and I couldn’t describe him. Okay, he was a little more than elusive...he was downright mean about not showing me anything about his looks. All I had was a troubled soul.

Meeting the hero of this proposal was a series of coincidences. A lot of things happened to line up our introduction. My husband had a crisis at work, it delayed our travel, we missed a lunch date delaying dinner. That might not mean much, but a later dinner meant cooler weather and us eating inside a restaurant instead of on the patio.

The next series of events had nothing to do with us at all. A waitress misunderstood what time she was to begin her shift and no one could cover the restaurant, so we had to order in the bar where we had a very good view of the last game of the American League championship (Rangers vs. Yankees)--so we stayed seated at the actual bar.

I noticed something about our bartender very quickly. Each person who came into the bar, he introduced himself, addressed each person by their name. I won’t dwell on how cute he is. His personality dominated the room. He had visitors talking, discovering that several of us were from the same area. We definitely enjoyed the game.

And then it hit me...I needed this guy’s picture. HE was my elusive hero. I received permission to use his actual name. We exchanged emails.

Coincidence or fate? I don’t know. The end of a great day? You betcha! The day that began running behind and missing lunch with my agent (worked out with a later meeting), ended with one of my characters posing and becoming completely embarrassed as he said, “No one’s ever wanted to use my face before.”

Two questions for you today.

Question one: Take a wild guess what his name is? Clues: it’s unusual and hero-perfect.

Question two: Ever had a bad day that turned into serendipitous kismet?

Anyone leaving a comment will be placed into a drawing for a free book (not mine). I have several new books to choose from.




31 comments:

  1. Fun post Angi. What a cool story. I'm taking a guess on the name... He looks like a Roland to me... Personable, Cute as a bug, manly... Yep, he's a winner! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a hottie Angi! And perfect for the character. Looks serious and capable.. Names? Hmmmmm, Is he a Marcus (or Mark).. It's a fave of mine :)

    Glad your trip was a productive one!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a Roland.
    Not a Marcus.
    Not a Mark.

    This is fun.
    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a couple of more guesses, I'll post another clue.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many guesses to we get? First I'd say Garrett, but have more options if we can "double dip."
    Fun post, Angi.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. And a great hero, in so many ways. I'll guess.

    Tom
    Luke
    Adam
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gavin or Ian???
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like an Alexi or Hogan.

    How funny that you found a guy who personified your character! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An unusual name, huh? Let me see. I've know a few strangely named men in my life. How about:

    Chance
    Nail
    River

    All of these guys are drop-dead gorgeous and personable. Am I close?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great day all in all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I name I've found very popluar recently is Blaz, or Blaze, or Blaise. He's blazing hot so I think it fits!;)

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  12. If his name is Dane or Drake, I'll fall drooling at his feet. Oh, wait, I'm already there!

    Now cough it up--not his name, but the name of the bar where he works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a Garrett.
    Not a Tom.
    Not a Luke.
    Not a Adam.
    Not a Mike.

    He's not Gavin or Ian.
    He's not Alexi or Hogan.

    Not Chance, Nail, or River.
    Not Blaz, Blaze, or Blaise.

    He's not even Dane or Drake.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEED ANOTHER CLUE ??

    Amy... you're close.
    _ _ _ _ _

    Here are the number of blanks for letters in his name.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  15. If anyone does actually guess his name... I bought a cute Texas Christmas Ornament for you!

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  16. And Amy...the name of the bar/restaurant is on his shirt. Not certain if I should actually publicize that or not. LOL

    But it's THE place for fish tacos in San Diego.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love guessing games... How about Devin or Derek

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was going with Ryder, but since you said Dane or Drake were close...hmm....Daryl?

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about Darin?

    Meeting him would make anyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry...not Devin or Derek or Dane or Drake or Darin.

    VERY BIG GRIN !!
    And Linda, it was a very good day !

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh...missed one... not Daryl either.

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you give us another hint? Does it even start with a D?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay. With that last hint, he does kinda look like a Dylan and/or Dylon. Or maybe Damon?
    How long do we hafta wait? Huh? Huh? Huh?
    Lynda, who's getting impatient - can ya tell???

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep he's YUMMY! He'a got a strong, confident face, "old west".... I was going with Gage until I read you're hints.
    Let's go with:
    Devin
    Devon
    Dilon
    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  26. OOPS should've deleted my first post... just had it all messed up. I see Lynda beat me with the Dylan...
    Oh well.. Next time if that's it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. All right already, Angi! Give up hunky's name!
    (Plu-eeeeeeeeeze!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. HEY LYNDA !! Congratulations, you guessed correctly with DAMON.

    I love the name. And Damon's character is fleshing out very nicely. :-)

    Contact me via email, Lynda and I'lll send your ornament: Angi@AngiMorgan.com

    ~~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Squeal! It ain't a three-book contract, but a win is a win. I'll take it.
    Thanks, Angi!

    ReplyDelete
  30. CONGRATULATIONS Katie -- my daughter chose your name (number) and you've won your choice of a new book. Send me an email at Angi@AngiMorgan.com with your address and I'll tell you what I have ready for your choice.

    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete