Monday, May 9, 2011

Dukes, Earls and Villains Oh My...

As some of you know, I’ve been on a mission to work on my own writing and editing lately so I haven’t had the luxury of time to read anyone else’s work but my own.  This makes for one unhappy lover of romance books. Recently, I was lucky enough to meet a very sweet and funny author at the Dreamin’ In Dallas book signing in March. Vicky Dreiling, was sitting next to fellow bloody pen sister, Nikki Duncan. She was signing her debut book,  How to Marry a Duke, a regency historical. I had to pick it up. The blurb on the back had a great hook and even if it hadn’t I would have bought Vicki’s book just based on her. She was that endearing.

I love, love, love a great regency but have not read one in a long time. It sat for a while and one day I’d had enough of looking at my own stuff and picked it up. I couldn’t put it down. It had everything I love in a regency historical. An irresistible chemistry between two seemingly unsuitable main characters, (In this case a Duke and his matchmaker) humor, sexual chemistry and a fairy tale like story of shucking society’s rules and letting love conquer all that you know will end with a Grande happily ever after.
 
Dreiling delivered on all those and she even managed to give it a twist that just made it that much better. Her next is coming out in June, How to Seduce a Scoundrel, I’ll be pre-ordering it!

This one did whet my appetite for more regencies and I was ready to dig through my box of oldies for my worn copies of Amanda Quick’s and Johanna Lindsay’s but I decided to wait. Those are tried and true, but I’m hoping you, dear readers, will help me discover some new authors to try. Who are your favorite historical authors, why and what time period do they write?

4 comments:

  1. I agree Kim. I'm so glad Vicky was sitting next to Nikki. Loved her book. Check out Eloisa James and Julia Quinn. Both are intelligent and funny. I met Elizabeth Essex after she sold her first book and got a three book deal. Bought her book at Dreamin' and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Kim !
    Can't go wrong with a historical. I love 'em all. Julia Quinn is one (just one) of my favorites.
    ~Angi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Julia Quinn, and Kym is right about Eloisa James as well. I also enjoy Julie Anne Long, Tessa Dare, Connie Brockway and Loretta Chase. And now I get to check out Elizabeth and Vicky. I love finding new authors, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly QuintonMay 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM

    Thanks Kym, Angi and Marty..
    I am also always looking for new authors and I have loved historicals since I started reading romance books about.. well, I was 15 so thats *ahem* just a bit over 20 years..

    ReplyDelete