Damon's certainly had an uneven path to roam, but his checkered past is not as deadly as viewers may have believed when we met bad boy Salvatore. His arrival in Mystic Falls in 2009 heralded a number of deaths including Vicki Donovan and Coach Tanner. While Damon didn't kill Vicki once and for all, he did attack her twice and turned her (because he was bored). Later he disposed of the body after brother Stefan staked her to keep her from ripping Elena's throat out.
But it turns out, that Damon has a reason to be pissed at his baby brother. We found out during the first season that Stefan forced Damon to turn. As time trickled on, we found out that after turning, Stefan was a ripper—an out of control monster when he killed and he liked keeping the bodies around. Damon couldn't help him, so he left him to Lexi.
Flash forward to 2011, Damon took a lot of knocks including the discovery that love of his life Katherine was a lying, manipulative bitch. When she came after Elena, Damon and Stefan worked together at the end of 2010 to toss her happy ass into the tomb, imprisoning her as Damon had mourned for over a century. Now the brothers must struggle with the fact that they are in love with the same woman...again.
But 2011 brought little relief from the danger in their lives as werewolves made an appearance in Mystic Falls including Jules and Damon kicked off an affair with the vampire Rose. Unfortunately, Rose found herself the victim of Jules' poisonous bite and Damon hunted for a cure for his girlfriend, but in the end, he held her in his arms, controlled her dreams so she could see the place she'd grown up and let her die happy when he had to stake her.
Original Elijah also made an appearance and created havoc for the Salvatore. He wanted Elena to help him lure out Klaus, his deadly older brother who it turns out was actually a werewolf and a vampire. The so-called Sun and Moon curse was a story they concocted to help find the doppelganger they would need to sacrifice to free Klaus' werewolf side.
Elijah was no longer interested in helping his brother, instead, he wanted to kill him. Damon didn't trust Elijah, because he understood the power of brotherhood. Turns out Damon was right not too, because Klaus tricked Elijah at the end and Elijah ended up daggered and locked in a coffin.
When Damon realized Tyler and Caroline were two of Klaus' proposed sacrifices, he rescued them only to get bitten by Tyler. Fighting the poison in his system, he retrieved the slain Elena from the sacrifice spot and held her until the sun rose and Bonnie's spell sacrificing father John for Elena brought her back to life.
As Damon grew sicker, Elena tried to reach out to him and Stefan searched for a cure, finally surrending himself to Klaus for the antidote. In the meanwhile, at the Salvatore home, Damon whispered that he wished Elena had known him in 1864. She would have liked him then.
Elena stole his breath away when she admitted she liked him now and kissed him tenderly. When Katherine arrived with Klaus' blood, Damon was restored, but Stefan was gone.
At the beginning of the third season, Damon worked diligently to hunt for his brother and keep Elena out of the line of fire, but Elena kept insisting on putting herself out there. He endured Stefan murdering Andie in front of his eyes and the lashing of Elena's resentment when she discovered he had been looking for Stefan.
But the sparks began to fly when the two worked together whether it was driving to Chicago where Damon revealed Stefan's ugly secrets or when he followed her foolish trip into the werewolf infested mountains. Best scene of the year was when Damontossed her into the river. Fortunately, Elena also chose to leave to save Damon – choosing him rather than Stefan for the first time.
More conflicts awaited Damon as he continued to hunt for a way to kill Klaus, helping Katherine locate the original original Michael and waking him only to return and find Elena in the hospital, battered, bruised andbitten. Her blood taken by Klaus to turn his hybrids.
What followed was a powerful moment, Elena waking to say she'd been waiting for him and Damon's later declaration that he would never leave her again. The roller coaster didn't end there, a mind-controlled Stefan, his humanity turned off, was back and shadowed their steps to 'take care' of Klaus' prize.
As the third season wound down to its mid-season finale, Damon and Elena were working in perfect sync. Damon did his best to out think and out maneuver all of his opponents, only to have his plan sabotaged by Katherine – not to harm him, but to save him.
Furious and frustrated, Damon now must figure out what else he can do to save Elena and the town of Mystic Falls that he has grown to love once more. His heroic journey has been a beautiful thing to watch and I for one cannot wait to see what 2012 brings for the tragic hero. Can one hope that Elena's growing feelings will finally manifest for the Salvatore who would give everything up for her? Kill anyone? Never leave her? And always choose her?
I hope so.
- Come back as a vampire, and I'll stake you myself. I can't stand the thought of losing you. - As I Lay Dying
- Klaus thinks you died Elena, that's safe. This...this is not safe. - The Hybrid.
- You don't want her chasing you, I'd stop with the late night phone calls. - The Hybrid
- Let me be clear about something. If it comes down to you and the witch again, I will gladly let Bonnie die. I will always choose you. - The Last Dance
- You see, that's why I didn't tell you. Cause you would have never been able to do it. Don't get me wrong, Stefan. I don't mind being a bad guy. I'll make all the life and death decisions, while you're busy worrying about collateral damage. I'll even let her hate me for it. But at the end of the day, I'll be the one to keep her alive. - The Last Dance
- What the hell’s wrong with you? You’re not supposed to witchy migraine me. - Homecoming
- I'd offer you a drink, but Katherine tells me you're more of a vampire-on-the-rocks kind of guy. - Homecoming
- All that effort wasted trying to tell you how boring you were and you finally agree with me? - Ordinary People
- I knew your old family. They made sucky chili. - Disturbing Behavior
- He threatened to out me. Don't get me started on the irony of that. - Disturbing Behavior
- Don't mistake the fact that we haven't set you on fire in your sleep for trust. - Know Thy Enemy
- Yes, I've become you. How tragic for both of us. Gotta run. Have a murder to plan. Busy day. - The Dinner Party
- I'm not human. And I miss it. I miss it more than anything in the world. That is my secret. - The Descent