Saturday, April 21, 2012

Time Is Running Out! Witchcraft Archetypes Begins Monday

I have to confess that I have been excited about this class since I first discussed it with Deborah Blake in January. My love affair with witches dates back to some of the first books I read as a child, remember Wendy the Witch from Casper the Friendly Ghost?


My affection for witches continued to deepen as I grew older and discovered Wicca.  Wicca resonated with me and my love affair with witchcraft took a different route, not only were they among my favorite supernaturals, I started paying attention to the types of witches portrayed, what archetypes they referenced and how they informed the story (or not as the case may be) or deepened the characters (or not). 

Some of my favorite witches appeared in Anne Rice's books and Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's epic fantasy and Patricia C. Wrede and more.  That list has continued to grow for more than two decades. I add new witches, authors and programs to it every year along with their pros and cons and where they belong. 

This class kicks off on Monday via Yahoo Loop. I'm also offering students a ten page critique of their work in progress and more. Registration closes Sunday at 6 p.m. Eastern so register today. I'll be closing the class at 30.

Register here.


About The Class

For: Authors and others with a desire to study the portrayal of witches in fiction and popular culture, including the defined archetypes as featured in popular novels by Candace Havens, Kim Harrison, Deborah Blake, Charlaine Harris and more.

Time: 4 days

Cost: $20

Date: April 26-29, 2012


Day One
  • Witches in popular fiction
  • Introduction of three archetypes
    • The Chaste Witch
    • The Succubus Witch
    • The Royal Witch
  • Assignment, create a witch character based on one of these archetypes, discover the challenges associated
  • Q & A

Day Two
  • Discuss Three Archetypes
    • The Crisis Witch
    • The Scribe Witch
    • The Servant Witch
  • Assignment, expand on the previous day’s assignment, integrating new qualities
  • Q & A



Day Three
  • Discuss Three Archetypes
    • The Teacher Witch
    • The Warrior Witch
    • The Wicked Witch
  • Assignment, what pros and cons do each archetype offer to your work
  • Q & A

Day Four
Discussing hereditary witches in and out of fiction, reality versus fantasy
Open Q&A, reviewing assignments, discussing how to infuse your work with fresh perspectives based on the witch archetypes discussed in the class.


No comments:

Post a Comment