Thursday, May 31, 2012

Let's Do The Twist...

You know that old saying, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade? Over the last year, life threw me more than few curve balls made of limes, lemons, and oranges. But rather than getting sour about it, I decided to make a few tequila sunrises.

Last summer I made a commitment to myself and I've been extremely focused on keeping that commitment from writing every day, to really pushing myself to find the snark, the fun and more in my stories. I've seen one publisher fold and another four pick my books up. I've received tremendous support from my fellow authors, met fantastic new readers and discovered that you know, being an author isn't all autograph signings and flowers...it's grueling, butt flattening (not the good kind btw) work that can leave you with an aching back, burning eyes and the most fierce sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

In addition to writing, I partnered up with Deborah Blake to do something else I love: teach. We're teaching classes on Wicca and on writing and I couldn't be happier about it. Yes, it's a lot of work and some days I think I over committed myself, but then we get a class going and our students are always fabulous sources of discussion, thoughtful viewpoints and engaging questions.  

Firmly on that writing path, I decided that it was time to add another accomplishment to my belt--that of losing the weight I put on when I had mini me that decade ago. It's not about the looks, it's about the health issues that came with the weight -- including back issues and sleep apnea, particularly during allergy season when I can't wear the CPAP...it's just so frustrating.  While losing the weight may not get rid of the sleep apnea totally, it could reduce it to less problematic levels and that's worth more than a lighter figure to me.

So I started Medifast. I mentioned this a week back and I'm still using these blogs to keep myself accountable. But I made it through the first ten days and I'm feeling awesome. I haven't had any coffee (which seemed ridiculous going into this, but I haven't wanted it) and I've lost as of this morning, nearly 14 pounds total.  It's coming off, I'm enjoying the eating plan and the cooking -- oh the cooking, I love the recipes.

I must add some of these to my next book!  So what gets you motivated to tackle your goals or even what goals are you working on now? I'd love to hear about it so I can cheer you on, too!

Oh and before I forget, I'm over at the fabulous Melissa Schroeder's blog today as a part of her Salute to Military Romance. If you haven't been following, go check it out -- so many great authors this week!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Heather. I'm so excited for you. :) Can't wait to see the svelte new you at the June NT meeting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete