Monday, July 9, 2012

A Year In Review

So a little over a year ago, on July 5, 2011, I had just returned from RWA Nationals in New York, I was fresh and inspired and ready to get to work.  By ready to work, I meant I came home with the plan and the dedication that I was going to make writing books and getting published my priority. I still had two contract jobs, a daughter, a family, friends and animals--but writing every day would be my priority.

At 4:30 a.m. on July 5th, I got up, made coffee and settled into my garage in what in the last year has become my official writing chair. Booting up my laptop, I started writing the book that would eventually become Marshal of Hel Dorado.  Every day, rain or shine, no matter what else I had on my agenda, the first three hours of every day were devoted to writing. I began generating an average of 5,000 words a day.

Over the next twelves months, I wrote eighteen books, five of which were shorts, three of which were novellas, and ten full length in excess of seventy-thousand word novels.  The following list is a rough of the books completed in the last year, including titles and word count.   In November 2011, my publisher Sapphire Blue closed its doors and five of my releases were pulled from the shelves and two more, ready to go were put on hold.



The titles in blue have been contracted, in red self-published and in black, still working on getting a home. By the way, this list is only for books I completed. I have another ten sitting here in various stages either in synopsis, plotting or rough draft.  Some months show more 'works' completed than others, but in at least three of the months listed below I was running through edits on five separate books in addition to writing. March is is one of those months.  November is another.

July
The Taming of the Thief - 60,000 words

August
Marshal of Hel Dorado - 82,000 words
Boomers (Now Yesterday's Heroes) - 30,000 words

September
Shadow Dancer - 23,000 Words
Buried Evil - 70,000 Words


November - Sapphire Blue Closes
Once Her Man, Always Her Man - 14,000 Words


December
Retreat Hell! She Just Got Here 10,000 words
Brave Are the Lonely 78,000 words
Tell It To the Marine 14,000 words


January
Jacob's Trial - 59,000 words
Proud to Serve Her - 14,000 words


February
Bloody Mary Sisterhood - 30,000 words
Her Marine - 14,000 words

March
The Rapture 40,000 Words


April
In The Spotlight - Soulgirls extended 39,000 Words


May
Hel's Gauntlet - 60,000 words


June
No Regrets, No Surrender 43,000 Words
The Judas Contact, 60,000 Words

What's the point of this exercise? It's fun to take a long look back at my year and say this is what I accomplished. Bring it on 2012-2013, I got your word count right here.


7 comments:

  1. You just rock! Looking forward to you kicking butt over the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been saying it for years: you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I bow down to your awesomeness. Honestly, this is an incredibly inspiring post. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly QuintonJuly 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

    Wow! Just wow! You are an inspiration. :) can't wait to see hOw amazing the next year will be

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks! I'm already digging in for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know whether to be inspired or just really hate myself right now. My New Year's resolution was to complete 12 manuscripts this year. To date, I haven't completed one.
    You should feel very proud. This is an amazing amount of work completed in just one year.

    ReplyDelete