Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Falling in Love…True Romance Stories with Valerie Mann


In my latest 1Night Stand series release, First Comes Marriage, two lonely people have reached that point in their lives when they wonder where the time has gone and why haven’t they accomplished the most important goals for future happiness—finding someone to share their lives with, and have a family.

Compared to some people, I have a fairly conventional romance story. Girl meets boy, boy is smitten, girl reels him in. Nothing too out of the ordinary. By the way, he’s still smitten and I continue to reel him in after three decades. Yay for enduring romance!

Some of my author friends have romance stories that aren’t quite so tame. I love to hear these fun tales of “how we met”, but any good romance tale is enough to get my muse hopping! That’s the romance author in me. And I think it’s why romance authors write stories about finding love in all the right, or wrong, places. And it’s not just us authors…our readers want to suspend disbelief and fall in love right along with the characters. It’s Psychology 101. Which is all I ever took, so it must be elementary!

Here are some fun, true-life “How We Met” stories from some romance authors:

Kali Willows met her future husband through a friend who wouldn’t give up the challenge of bringing them together. Her hottie spouse is the real deal, ladies! They had a medieval wedding and from what I understand, he built the set for it. Talk about a knight-in-shining-armor! And to top it off, their wedding was broadcast on Food Network Canada’s documentary show, I Do, Let’s Eat! How cool is that?

One of the funniest authors I know, Katie Harper, has a sad story that ended happily ever after.

The Ballsiest Proposal Ever

My first husband died six years ago on Christmas Day. I was twenty seven and had an eighteen month old baby. I went through all the typical stages psychiatrists like to blather on about until I reached a point where I was totally happy being single. In fact I'd decided to never marry again. Kind of an odd declaration for a romance novelist. 

Then I met Rogerio. It might have been that I hadn't been involved with anyone in years but I was instantly attracted to him. The fact that he had a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, was a pastry chef, sexy as hell, and from Brazil had pretty much everything to do with it. Then I got to know him and discovered that all that stuff paled when held up to his kind, compassionate nature. 
My daughter fell in love with him from the moment they met. He went to all her school functions, helped her with homework, taught her to ride a bike, all the dad stuff. He just needed to suck it up and ask me to marry him because I sure as hell wasn't going to do it. I knew he wouldn't do anything showy. What he did will go down in history as the single most ballsy proposal ever. On the five year anniversary of my first husband's death, on Christmas Day, he asked me to marry him. He hedged his bet by showing up with a five carat ring. How was I going to say no to that? His goal was to give me a happy memory of Christmas. And he did. One year later, two weeks ago, I gave birth to our beautiful daughter Scarlett Sophia.


Mahalia Levey is one of the nicest authors writing today. Her partner wasn’t about to lose her and knew exactly what he was doing in her story!

George and I are not married but he has been my best friend for 15 years. I met him when my youngest was six months old. She just turned 15. He was the friend I cried on with every broken relationship, the man who would come pick me up at 3am for a designated driver home, the man who'd hold my hair when I barfed, also would pick up my young sister when she was stranded too. He never told me he loved me. I never told him I loved him. We never then attempted to date because I never thought I was good enough for him. I imagined him with a corporate black woman. He never thought he was good enough for me and it made him mad. Still my mom told him not to give up right before she passed away. I didn’t even know they talked, I'd moved out of state. I was always running from his type of security prob because he scared me lol. But whenever things were in shambles he was the first person I'd call. Eventually he gave me an ultimatum to come home and quit running or to never call him again when my life fell apart.

I did the only smart thing possible and came home. It hasn't been all rainbows and ice cream but he is a good man and I should've taken him out of the friend zone years ago. I never realized the hell I put him through after he'd pick me back up and patch me back together after the assholes I dated. We'll get married soon.


Kate Richards met her husband online in a gaming room. It was a whirlwind, West coast/East Coast romance. I’m talking days here, not even weeks! They knew they were meant to be, so why waste time?

In my latest 1Night Stand series release, First Comes Marriage, two lonely people have reached that point in their lives when they wonder where the time has gone and why haven’t they accomplished the most important goals for future happiness—finding someone to share their lives with, and have a family.
Blurb:
Who agrees to an arranged marriage in the 21st century? Beth Malone can’t believe a date request with the 1Night Stand service morphed into an arranged marriage offer. But after a heartbreaking divorce and no knight in shining armor coming to sweep her off her feet, her desire to find that knight and have a family is looking more like a dream than a reality. 


After filling out a 1Night Stand questionnaire worthy of the CIA, Christian Ramos is stunned when Madame Eve offers to arrange more than a date for one night: she suggests a wife! What the hell? After his best friend Jackson Castillo stops laughing, he advises him to consider the offer. Between the fortieth birthday looming on the horizon and his Latino upbringing, Chris is forced to take a hard look at his life. Reality check—time is running out for what he wants—a family and a woman to share his life.

First comes love, then comes marriage isn’t part of their matrimonial situation, but neither Beth nor Christian anticipated the immediate attraction and contentment that comes with saying, “I do.”





Excerpt:

“We need to get this over with.” 

Her eyes widened in shock. “Get what over with?” But she knew. 

He dropped his hand and gave her a rueful smile. “We’re married. I want to make love to my wife.” He waited for her to respond again and when she didn’t, he added, “Now.” 

Beth blinked. Her heart started beating again. She liked a man who knew what he wanted. Especially when he wanted her. Stretching up, she gave him a light kiss. He clasped her waist with both hands and pulled her against him, fusing his mouth to hers, nothing like he had during their wedding. He invaded her, tasting and exploring with his tongue, forcing her to open for him. 

She wound her arms around his neck and gave in, letting the invasion happen. Every fear disappeared and the only trembling happening was from desire. Her breasts swelled, aching to be touched. She wanted him. How wonderful he was hers. 

Chris eased away but didn’t let go, wearing the same dazed look she must have had after their wedding kiss. He stepped back a few paces, bringing her with him, until he reached the bed. 

“Turn around.” 

Beth narrowed her eyes but obeyed. The zipper on the back of her dress descended and the silky garment puddled at her feet as he turned her back to face him. His hungry gaze swept over her, and she shivered with anticipation. Leaning in, he kissed the space between her breasts, his face tight with desire. No man had ever looked at her body that way…so appreciative. 

Reaching behind her, he unhooked her bra, and tossed it on the floor to join the dress. Her nipples stood at attention, swollen and needy. She shivered again. 

He tilted his head back. “Am I going too fast?” 

She cupped his face and gave him a hard kiss. “Hurry,” she whispered. 

About the author: 

Valerie Mann has lived from sea to shining sea and currently resides in Raleigh, North Carolina. She has her own romance hero husband, five children, and two lazy cats. She started writing when she figured out her school chums would listen to her stories, with “The Stolen Ring”, a riveting tale about a ring stolen from a museum gumball machine, being her first critical success. Between family, authorly stuff, managing and editing for an electronic publisher and whatever else she can cram into a day, she’s having way too much fun. She loves to hear from her readers!



So what’s your story? Leave a comment (with your email address) and I will pick one commenter to win a copy of any book from my Decadent Publishing backlist. Make it a good one so you can help fuel my romantic muse!

2 comments:

  1. Back when we met, it was less common...and my entire family thought my now adorable husband and partner of 12 years was an ax murderer on the run...but if so, he's really biding his time! Everyone's story is so great! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how people meet. I met my hubby months before I was going away to university. I was frustrated as a bunch of my friends were trying to set me up on blind dates, and though we were never by ourselves, nothing ever clicked. But my hubby always seemed to be were I ended up, whether at the bar, or a tug-o-war party. We made our own path, and have been together ever since.

    ReplyDelete