It's good to be back and it's good to have a new episode of Vampire Diaries to chat about. Yes, I haven't written the post mortem for last week's yet in large part due to work constraints and deadlines—and the fact that I didn't even get to see the episode until late on Sunday—but hoo boy did I hear about it. I want to take a moment to comment on one aspect of My Brother's Keeper because it fed directly into this week's episode.
The dramatic choice to have Caroline's screeching "OMG she's sired to Damon" intercut with Damon and Elena finally letting all their feelings cut loose and make love for the first time—bad idea. Just bad. Caroline sounded like a harpy and it was as though the writers finally gave fans what they longed for only to say—but don't get your hopes up.
Now, all of that said, the "reveal" didn't shock me nor did it diminish the power of Damon and Elena finally being together. Their chemistry burned up the screen and the absolute vulnerability and disbelief in his eyes when he realized Elena did want him—yeah—Damon deserves some happiness. People want to paint him with the selfish brush but he sacrifices a lot and he rarely wanders around moping like Stefan.
What's That Look on Your Face?
We open up the next morning, Damon curled on his side in bed and when he opens his eyes, Elena's not there. There's just the barest catch in his voice when he calls her name and she wanders back over to the bed in his shirt and crawls in with him. He thought she was gone and she just grins and says, "oh, I don't need to be at school until twenty minutes ago."
They are warm, affectionate, and Damon has this beautifully tender look on his face. Elena teases him, asking him what is that look and he says what look with a smile and she says "that look." Damon confesses he's happy and yes, I freely admit, I sighed. When was the last time we really saw Damon "happy?"
They have a playful time, make out, get Elena ready for school and he's walking her to the door. When she asks about what they should tell Stefan, Damon asks if they can have one selfish day to just be happy before they have to break Stefan's heart. She agrees a little reluctantly but with indulgence—only to open the door and find Stefan right there.
I would usually give a pretty full synopsis but I've had a raging head cold and sinus infection and I'm running on a lot of deadlines. So let's hit the highlights of the episode:
- Stefan tells Damon that Elena is sire bonded
- Damon doesn't believe him, but is willing to test the theory
- When Elena is able to drink the blood bag and is so happy, Damon's face crumples
- But he then turns around and begins to search for a solution (I knew he wouldn't hesitate)
- We find out that Damon turned a woman in the 1940s named Charlotte, she was crazy about him and after she turned, she was more than a little crazy—like snapping a sailor's neck because he touched Damon's drink crazy
- Damon found a witch to break the sire bond
- The witch told him he needed to kill 12 innocents to free her
- Damon told Charlotte to count all the bricks in New Orleans and he would be back in the morning
- He left her thinking the sire bond was broken
- The witch sold him a bill of goods
- Stefan and Damon track down her daughter and after some push pull, find out no such spell ever existed
- A sire bond exists between the Hybrids and Klaus because he frees them from the pain of having to shift
- A sire bond exists between vampires only if the one turned had deep feelings to begin with
- Tyler later confirms that the sire bond controlled his actions, never his feelings
I.E. Elena loves Damon. (Can I just say suck it to Caroline now?)
Speaking of Vampire Barbie (who gets kidnapped by the rebellious Hybrids in a dominance fight with Tyler), she was raging bitch in this episode. I normally like Caroline and I've adored her since Season 2. But all I saw in this episode was season 1's self-righteous snot. She is 100% team Stefan and made no bones about being a craptastic friend to Elena. I for one cheered when Elena called her on her crap and then kicked her out of the house.
Elena's normal mode of apologizing for breathing seems to be over. And I for one am very happy! Elena still does the right thing, she helps save Caroline and Tyler exerts his dominance.
- We learn that Lexi brought Stefan to New Orleans to apologize to Damon as part of his recovery (FYI, just because they are likening his ripper hood to alcoholism does not make the alcoholic sympathetic)
- Lexi was a bitch to Damon about Damon only caring about himself (like she knows) and blaming him for Stefan falling off the wagon (as we recall Damon felt bad about that, he really wants his brother to have it normal) and that if he truly cared about his brother, he would stay away from him
- For the first time I am glad Damon staked Lexi...
- Damon takes her advice because he does care and he leaves, when he tells Stefan the story, Stefan looks surprised—guess he should considering he wears his martyrdom like a bloody shroud for all to see. Damon has lost a lot and he doesn’t bellyache about it
Sidenote: The witch in New Orleans needed 12 innocents to open her death magic darkness--what they call Expression. Professor Shane is teaching Bonnie expression and needs 12 Hyrbids unsired by Klaus. Gee, that can't be good....
Send Her Away
The only way to free a sire bond is to tell them to forget the person they are bonded too, send them off to live their lives and never see them again. Damon frees Charlotte and you can tell it hurts him and he feels bad that she spent 70 years in New Orleans waiting for him. He didn't know. He goes home to free Elena, but Elena doesn’t want to be freed. She tells him she knows about the sire bond and figured that was where he and Stefan went—to take care of it. But the bond controls her actions, not her feelings.
She puts his hand over her heart and touches his face and says, doesn't this feel real to you? Meanwhile Stefan tells Caroline that Damon can't be selfish with Elena (you know like Stefan is) and Damon says he has to do what's right by Elena, but she shows him that he is right by her and she wants to go back to that happiness they had the morning before and kisses him.
Based on the previews, I think Elena is successful in keeping Damon with her. And I for one am damn happy about being right about this. The sire bond doesn't make her love him—if she didn't love him, she wouldn't have bonded to him. And of the two brothers, Damon will do anything to keep her safe and do right by her. Stefan cannot say the same.
So cheers all, what did you think of the episode?