Sunday, April 7, 2013

Always a Marine Anniversary Party! Giving Back

In Once Her Man, Always Her Man, I introduced readers to Mike's Place. A number have asked me where the idea came from and what inspired it? In all honesty, the idea was born while I wrote the book. Luke told me as he told Rebecca. Sadly, the story Luke told of his friend Mike and what happened to him is hardly a unique one in the realm of our armed forces.

Fisher House

At the time that I began describing Mike's Place, I wasn't fully aware of Fisher House, but it didn't take me long to learn about it. For years, Fisher House has provided homes for families of the military who wanted to be close to their loved ones during their recovery. Because of the wonderful work they do, I dedicated a portion of my royalties to them and will continue to do so for as long as the book sells.



Writing No Regrets, No Surrender was a difficult journey for me. For the first time, I actively cried while writing. Jazz, Logan and Zach went through hell and I went along for the ride. But as hard as it was, I am so grateful for the opportunity to write it and go there as I did with the book.

Dedicated Efforts

Matt's upcoming book (see an exclusive sneak peek here) features a service dog named Jethro. Because of this, I want to donate a portion of those royalties to Paws for Patriots. It's a local organization that trains service dogs for our veterans. I don't think I can ever do enough to thank our service men and women for the sacrifices they make. But I can certainly try.

If even one book or one dollar helps someone, then I've done a good thing and while I love writing these books and telling their stories--I also want to help. Thankfully, this is a series that allows me to do both.

What charities and causes dedicated to veterans would you like to see helped?

  a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. I like both the causes you're working with. I'm also fond of Wounded Warrior Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wounded Warriors and Fisher House. I like the idea of the Paws for Patriots. I have started to see more of these kinds of places in my FB feeds.

    ReplyDelete