Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cowboys & Lawmen Blog Hop: My Favorite Native Americans



Welcome to the Cowboys and Lawmen Blog Hop!

Join nearly 50 authors as we share why we love Cowboys and Lawmen. Cowboys are known as bad-boys, but what happens when the bad-boy is also the law in town? What is it about these contradictions that make small town sheriffs, Texas Rangers and ex-outlaws-turned-lawmen so irresistible? Whether you write or love to read about the Wild West or modern day Montana, what do you love most about lawmen who are also cowboys? And what makes them so gosh-darn sexy?

Fevered Hearts

In my most recent release, Buck Morning Star took the lead role, Buck is the full-blooded son of the shaman Quanto who raised many of the Fevered children in the series. Gifted with the ability to walk in dreams, Buck brings a very unique perspective to the table, one of peacemaker and mediator and in some ways, storyteller. The series kicked off with Marshal of Hel Dorado and A Fistful of Dreams is the fourth in the Fevered Hearts series.

A Fistful of Dreams


Fascination

Years ago, when I was a journalism student, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting an Oglala Sioux storyteller and he was magical. From the moment he began talking, I was utterly captivated. I couldn't get enough of the stories he told and I think it's true of any Native American tale I read or watch in the movies.  My fascination with Native Americans, their culture, their spirituality, their living with the land and fighting to maintain an existence against the ever encroaching white man is a story we should never forget. So to honor both this legacy, and our western hop today, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite Native Americans in film.

Jose Chavez y Chavez




Kicking Bird & Wind in His Hair




 Uncas and Chingachgook



Walter Crow Horse




Ben Yahzee



Do you have a favorite?


Cowboy Charm Blog Hops now has a companion Facebook Group, please feel free to join to receive blog hop and prize announcements.  Enjoy some awesome blogs and find fantastic books, for every post you comment on with your email address, you will be entered for some amazing prizes.




***PLEASE LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO QUALIFY***
Grand Prize: A $100 Gift Card for Amazon or Barnes and Noble, your choice. The winner will be chosen at random from comments containing email addresses, and will be announced on May 7. This is open to both US and international readers.

My prize: A $10 gift card to Amazon!

 Heather's Giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway

28 comments:

  1. Young Guns is one of my favorites. Maverick the movie is another one.

    amysmith98@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I do find that Native Americans have such a rich oral storytelling culture.

    Can't say I have one true favorite western.

    oncerfan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one who loved Maverick as the TV show, I was thrilled when it was made into a movie and loved that version as well. At its heart, Dances With Wolves is a western and I'd have to label that my favorite.
    l.carrollbradd(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dances With Wolves was and still is one of my all time favorite western movies. I watch it over and over again. I also like and will watch repeatedly Maverick and Silverado. As to lawmen who are also cowboys..... They are strong, independent, fiercely protective, but on the inside they are nothing but a big ol’ teddy bear! I love the way their mouths talk dirty, but their eyes show their vulnerability. They can be rough and tough in the bedroom, but still have the gentle caress of an attentive and protective lover. It's all in the heart.
    Thanks for being part of the hop and for the chance to win. <^_^>
    reneebennett35 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lonesome Dove could be my favorite. Or Dances With Wolves. There are so many to choose from. Enjoyed the blog.
    charraddon(at)pobox.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the very best blog I've ever participated in. I love Western and Native American History and Western Romances. I'm glad I got to "meet" you and your works on this blog today. To answer your question, I really loved Wes Studi, who starred in Last of the Mohicans and Dances with Wolves...and Graham Greene ain't bad either. :-) jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lawmen who are also cowboys...two hot alpha males all rolled up into one package? *sigh* What's not to like?
    Lorimeehan 1 @ aol.com(no spaces)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pleasant surprise to find you on the blog hop, Heather! My favorite Native American as an actor is the man who played on Dr. Quinn. He played in several other movies and always had the opportunity to share his culture within his role. I love spending an afternoon at a pow wow and have my own drum. Many Blessings Angela aka LdyRainLyte

    AngelaDrake(at)webname(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite Native American in files/tv is Adam Beach. My favorite western film is probably Rio Bravo or Five Card Stud. Thanks for being part of the blog hop. lisagk(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walker's Uncle Ray on Walker Texas Ranger
    sugerlady@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you covered my favorites too. Though, I'd have to add, The Last of the Mohicans too---but I guess techically that's not a western (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't have a fav

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uncas from THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS has always been a favorite of mine.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always been a fan of Adam Beach and Wes Studi. Favorite western movie is Dances With Wolves.
    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Western and Native American History--Add a little paranormal too and I'm in heaven! Your series sounds fantastic. Do you need to read them in order? kmnbooks at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. DANCES WITH WOLVES was an excellent film. Enjoyed your blog today. ~~Emmly Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. A couple of movies that I loved is The Last of the Mohicans and Unforgiven.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maverick and Dances with Wolves:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Forgot my email:

    Margay1122ATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the oldies....Gunsmoke, Maverick, Bonanza to watch, but I prefer contemporary western reads.

    cmucha319(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The actor, Jay Silverheels, who played the original Tonto has been in lots of movies portraying various Native Americans. He has always been a favorite of mine.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michael Greyeyes is a favorite. I've seen him in several movies. I loved the movie Stolen Women, Captured Hearts.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I'm with you on the Native Americans. :) I still love Chavez in Young Guns. Just watched that the other night as a matter of fact, bust I also love Graham Greene too. I can't remember the guy's name, but the one you posted last is awesome as well. Nice post! :) Thanks for the giveaway.

    imsocool(at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Like you, i find indians fascinating! Although, i grew up with parents who did too! Thats were i got my name "shadow". Mom found it in an indian romance novel. Fitting, huh? lol I love indian movies. One of my favorites is The Last of the Mohicans. The music in it is beautiful, but to see the way they fought, so sad. Thanks for sharing! You have some great movies featured!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you EVERYONE who stopped by this week! This was great fun and I enjoyed reading all of your comments. I've pulled the winner for the gift card here at my blog and I'm sure the blog hop overall winner will be announced soon! For those of you who asked, my readers say that you will enjoy the Fevered Hearts series more if you read it in order! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Heather,
    My email was hacked, so I am having trouble sending emails out. I already changed my password, but may have to wait 24 to 48 hours for me to be able to send out mail. Hopefully this will work to let you know the email address you sent the winning notice to is the correct one for the gift card.

    Here is what my reply to your email was.....
    Squee! I am so excited to win! *:D big grin Grinning like a fool & doing the happy dance! *=D> applause*=)) rolling on the floor*~^o^~ cheer*:-h wave
    Thank you so much! Yes, this is the correct email address to send it to.
    Thank you again,
    Sincerely,
    Renee
    reneebennett35 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Heather.
      I was finally able to send in my response by email.
      Thank you again, and I'm sorry if I'm taking up a lot of room on your blog. :)
      Renee B

      Delete