Monday, August 5, 2013

Countdown to Showtime: Taking the Stage with Flashdance

I love dance movies--I've always loved them. I grew up on a steady diet of Solid Gold Dancers, Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, Broadway musicals and dance movies! I poured all that love for dance into Soulgirls. Book #1, Into the Spotlight released last March and in seven days, Taking the Stage, book 2 will release. So to count it down all this week, I thought I'd share some of my favorite movies!

Up first! Flashdance!

When this movie came out in 1983, the critics called it all kinds of names--and most of them weren't polite.




But you know what? I didn't care. The movie had a hardworking blue collar girl who worked as an exotic dancer, but what she really wanted was to become a professional ballerina. Mentored by a lovely older woman and pursued by her wealthy boss, the story is familiar to any good romance reader and yes, it made the dreamer in my tween heart beat!




Now while I never practiced that chair and water dance and I know Jennifer Beals didn't do her own dancing, the Maniac dance sequence and the final remain iconic...and who doesn't love leg warmers?



When she finally gets her chance to show the stuffy board of admissions what she can do--well, it's the stuff that happily ever afters are made of.

What was your favorite part of Flashdance?

No comments:

Post a Comment