Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Countdown to Showtime: Taking the Stage with Fame!

I love dance movies--I've always loved them. I grew up on a steady diet of Solid Gold Dancers, Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, Broadway musicals and dance movies! I poured all that love for dance into Soulgirls. Book #1, Into the Spotlight released last March and in seven days, Taking the Stage, book 2 will release. So to count it down all this week, I thought I'd share some of my favorite movies!



Up first! Fame!

In addition to being a movie, Fame also became a television series and it was can't miss TV for me. I was so invested in these characters, I still remember magical scenes from both and who could forget Debbie Allen's advice? It resonates as well today as it did then...




Facing down against a football team. I heard for years that dancing wasn't a real sport and sad as it is to say, I've seen grown men and women who should know better say it to their kids today--especially if its their son who is interested in dance. Dance is teaches flexibility, endurance, and style--and frankly, I love a guy who can dance his ass off.




With several seasons, and two movies to its name--Fame made dancing, singing, and acting cool and cruel and hard work for every one who ever had a dream to make art with their minds, their bodies and their talent--and that said, it also had Erica Gimpel, and her smile? It always made me grin!

Did you have a favorite character on Fame?

No comments:

Post a Comment