Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Falling in Haunted Love

A funny thing happened in 1989, I went with a friend to see a movie and though the trailers and previews told me some of what would happen, I wasn't prepared for the journey that this film would take me on. Can there really be love after death? Can a ghost or a spirit truly have a relationship with the living? And honestly? How romantic can it be if the hero is dead?

The first film to answer this question was Always with Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter. It was at times hilarious and other times deeply poignant. 



In the summer of 1990, the answer became even more the affirmative.  


Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg and Tony Goldwyn (long before his Scandal days) were the stars of this powerful film. To this day I cannot hear the song Unchained Melody without being immediately reminded of Sam and Molly and of course "Ditto."

A few years later, however, I saw a film that to this day I cannot watch without sobbing because of just how beautiful the story was--it was a tale about the power of love, and the determination of the spirit to never leave those he loved behind.


Robin Williams took my breath away with his performance, and I cite What Dreams May Come as one of the most profoundly beautiful films of all time. Love does go on...beyond death. These three films influenced me greatly when I wrote my upcoming release Haunt Me. Do you have a favorite ghost film? 

No comments:

Post a Comment